• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tamvegas

Tamvegas

arrived on last train

• 4 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 17 September 2024 - 11:43 am

Hi, looking to upgrade the suspension on my 2010 9er.

The bike has travelled 20,000km and has totally stock original suspension front and rear.

I have replaced the fork fluid with 10W with 133mm air gap.  

Currently running Michelin Pilot Road 4 tyres.

When pushed the bike feels vague in the front end, running wide in turns, no real feedback and far too much dive.

The front and rear suspension feel unmatched, and the bike has a tendency to wallow when pushed through corners on B grade roads.

Apart from the suspension I find it to be a really great bike.

I have read through all Suspension topics I have been able to find on the Carpe Forum but would still appreciate some feedback and advice.

My options appear to be 1. Quality front fork springs for my weight and trial and error with fork oil weight and air gap. 2. Option one plus Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators. 3. Cartridge Conversion Kit. 4. Replace the front end.

I need assistance choosing between options 2 and 3.

Cartridge Vs Emulator.   

Does anybody have any experience and constructive advice regarding either the Adreani Misano or Matris cartridges versus the Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators? There appears to be good support for the Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators on this forum from earlier years, but I have been unable to find any feedback or reviews on a front forks cartridge conversion for a TDM900.

So far, the Adreani Misano and Matris units are the only cartridge conversions I have beeb able to find for a TDM900.

The Matris cartridges are a little more expensive but appear to have gained the vote for various other makes and models as the superior unit. 

Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 September 2024 - 12:01 pm

Cartridge Vs Emulator.   

Does anybody have any experience and constructive advice regarding either the Adreani Misano or Matris cartridges versus the Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators? There appears to be good support for the Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators on this forum from earlier years, but I have been unable to find any feedback or reviews on a front forks cartridge conversion for a TDM900.

I've had an 850Mk1 (cartridge forks) with RaceThech valves and also a 9er in which I installed Gold Valve Emulators.

The Mk1 forks were way better even after the 9er upgrade. But, of course, spring weights/oil etc. weren't identical, so some room for misinpretation of what makes a quality suspension.

Bjørge

#3 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,814 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 17 September 2024 - 08:48 pm

I have the YSS emulators (pretty much copies of the Racetec units) in my 900 and it has totally transformed the front end (it wasn’t bad before). I also have an Ohlins rear shock (mt09) which I got from Fixitsan. Since fitting, I’ve covered about 12000 miles and the setup gives a nice plush ride that is stable and consistent when cornering. I’m not the fastest rider but I would say fairly brisk is normal for me and I regularly get to the edge of the rear tyre. The main difference is cornering in the wet. The bike just seems to find grip everywhere. Tyre wise, I’m running Roadsmart 4s - highly recommended. Prior to that I had Michelin Road 5s, which lasted 10,200 miles. They would have gone longer, but I got a puncture in the rear which still had just over 2mm tread left, but wasn’t worth trying to repair.

Regarding the emulators. They do take a bit of setting up to get spot on, but after that it’s all just servicing pretty much with oil changes etc regularly. In my experience, the 900 is a little sensitive to the front preload setting and can feel like it’s going to tuck if set a little too low, made worse by the standard springs being a dual rate of soft and even softer. It’s worth taking the time to set the sag and spring rates correctly at both ends.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Roadsmart 4s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#4 Tamvegas

Tamvegas

arrived on last train

• 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2024 - 12:56 pm

@ Bjørge, thank you for input and taking the time to reply. Theoretically I think the cartridges should be better than emulators, but I also suspect there comes a point where good quality emulators may just about equal a cheap cartridge. The only advantage then being external adjustments but with a premium of about double the price. If I could find feedback that there is a cartridge conversion which people find superior to emulators I would buy it, especially in view of the external adjusters. 

@ Trevini, thank you for the tips. The YSS emulators appear to be about half the price of of the Racetec. As I have been unable to find any feedback on the net for TDM900 cartridge conversions I'm thinking I may go emulators.

Is there any further information you could share on your front suspension setup such as your front springs (make/model/rating/linear/progressive), fork oil brand and weight, and your weight with riding gear. Additionally, how did you find the installation instructions from YSS? Were the instructions clear and easy to follow, do you need to modify the forks, were their setup recommendations close to your final configuration? 

I like the idea of an Ohlins rear shock. At only 5mm longer the MT09 should be a good fit. Shame they don't make cartridges for the front forks. What model Ohlins rear shock did you get? 

#5 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,814 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 19 September 2024 - 03:15 pm

@ Bjørge, thank you for input and taking the time to reply. Theoretically I think the cartridges should be better than emulators, but I also suspect there comes a point where good quality emulators may just about equal a cheap cartridge. The only advantage then being external adjustments but with a premium of about double the price. If I could find feedback that there is a cartridge conversion which people find superior to emulators I would buy it, especially in view of the external adjusters. 

@ Trevini, thank you for the tips. The YSS emulators appear to be about half the price of of the Racetec. As I have been unable to find any feedback on the net for TDM900 cartridge conversions I'm thinking I may go emulators.

Is there any further information you could share on your front suspension setup such as your front springs (make/model/rating/linear/progressive), fork oil brand and weight, and your weight with riding gear. Additionally, how did you find the installation instructions from YSS? Were the instructions clear and easy to follow, do you need to modify the forks, were their setup recommendations close to your final configuration? 

I like the idea of an Ohlins rear shock. At only 5mm longer the MT09 should be a good fit. Shame they don't make cartridges for the front forks. What model Ohlins rear shock did you get? 

This might go on a bit....

Me

I'm not heavy, weighing in at around 85- 90KG in full kit (depending on summer or winter riding).

Front end

Standard 2004 MY fork springs with Dextron 3 ATF set at 130mm height. 7 turns of preload giving me 58mm of rider sag. Free sag is 30mm, static sag is 45mm. I left the adjuster ring in the fork (you have to cut the adjuster rod to fit the emulators) and have that set to pos 2. On the emulator, I have three holes drilled in the top plate of the valve (they come with one hole drilled, but I experienced chatter with only one - the extra two are the same diameter as the original drilled hole) and have it set at three turns preload on the adjuster. On the original damper rod, the existing holes are opened out and two extra holes added slightly higher up (as per instructions for the gold valves). It took a few goes to get the setup how I wanted it.

I did try some harder springs and also heavier oil to go with, but there was too much of an imbalance between front and rear for my liking. The instructions missed a few important details, but the instructions for the gold valves will tell you all you need to know. 

Rear end

Ohlins shock for an MT09 - I bought second hand from Fixitsan on here. I'm running the rear spring at standard rate for a 2004 900 with a preloaded length of 170mm. This gives ma static sag of 18mm and rider sag of 38mm. Adjuster set at 10 clicks out. 

The above settings work well for me and give a nice plush ride without any wallow when cornering briskly. Tyre wear is spot on at both ends. I never carry a pillion, so no idea what it would be like (plus it'd be a faff to adjust the rear preload due to access). I do run with either a top box of tail pack most of the time and occasionally add a couple of E21 boxes if I have more to carry/touring. 

Hope that helps!

Trev

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Roadsmart 4s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#6 Tamvegas

Tamvegas

arrived on last train

• 4 posts

Posted Today, 10:41 am

That's a big help, thanks heaps Trev.

I'm 90kg with kit, so your settings should work well for me.

Emulators are a lot more attractive with the initial groundwork already done.

I'm surprised the 2004 standard springs worked for you being somewhat softer than the 2002-2003 fork springs.

I noted that dandywarhol also reverted back to his standard springs, but his were the stronger 2003 fork springs.

There's certainly no harm in my trialling the standard springs.

Had a chuckle when I read you used Dex III ATF, maybe your're about my vintage when manufacturers used to recommend Dex III as the fork fluid.

I still use it myself when I need a 10W fork oil.

It appears that dandywarhol provided a guide for fitting Race Tech Gold Emulators at http://www.geocities...etech_page.html many years ago.

Unfortunately that link doesn't work anymore.

Is there another link I could use for that information, or does anyone have a copy of his guide? 

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users