13 replies to this topic

#1 Lithil

Lithil

arrived on last train

• 8 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 17 July 2024 - 09:56 pm

Hello fellow riders,

new to the forum, thanks for validating. 

I bought a time ago TDM 850 4TX (2001 year) - latest model on Europe market. I drove bike first few tousands kilometers and realized my bike smells of fuel. I swapped aftermarket exhaust (more open cans) and bike started to be more alive and started heavily popping on decceleration only - thought when bike runs better, no issue. After time i have checked spark plugs - one white, one totaly black - i thought there is an issue in carb (bike was poorly maintained by prevoius owner). I have rebuild carbs (MK2a carbs - Mikuni BDSR38), including new needle jets pressed out and new needles. Cleaned spark plugs and after 50km checked - both white (one maybe slightly, veeery slight starting tan color). Decceleration popping is same, performance same except thorttle is smoother. 

And now question - what would you do to improve mixture and how to spot good mixture at best ? 

I hope i explained story of my bike well. My english is learned only from hearing and reading, sorry for that.

PS: valves clearance not done, tried to measure, but stripped water flange screw head .... peep

Thank you in advance

Attached Files

#2 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 July 2024 - 07:02 am

Are the carb rubbers leaking air through cracks ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3 Lithil

Lithil

arrived on last train

• 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 12:38 pm

Carb rubbers completely new - gaskets, mambranes and joints carb/intake. Same before as after

Edited by Lithil, 18 July 2024 - 12:38 pm.

#4 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,727 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 01:51 pm

Carb rubbers completely new - gaskets, mambranes and joints carb/intake. Same before as after

All good ?

You have to consider the carbs then. Have you ever modified a needle ? If you can figure out where it's at it's most lean it might be a case of marking the needle and rubbing it down in that area. But a new needle/jet would be better

#5 Lithil

Lithil

arrived on last train

• 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 02:39 pm

As i wrote above. There is completely new needle and needle jet. 5 days ago exchanged. Carbs serviced. The lean condition is same before and after carbs service.

#6 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,479 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 July 2024 - 04:43 pm

Is the bike riding ok or are you chasing the popping on overrun?

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#7 Lithil

Lithil

arrived on last train

• 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 06:26 pm

riding is good - its my first bike, so i do not recognise some slight power loss. But i think reponse from throttle could be better. Popping is smaller issue than white spark plugs 

#8 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,184 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 18 July 2024 - 06:47 pm

What brand emulsion tubes and needles did you use?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#9 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,727 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 07:20 pm

As i wrote above. There is completely new needle and needle jet. 5 days ago exchanged. Carbs serviced. The lean condition is same before and after carbs service.

OK thanks, I'm assuming you've checked the plug types are the exact type recommended ?

And also keeping in mind the known existence of fakes of every manufacturer's spark plugs.

NGK's website recommends the DPR8EA-9 (as does owner's manual).

Edited by fixitsan, 18 July 2024 - 07:23 pm.

#10 Lithil

Lithil

arrived on last train

• 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 07:24 pm

What brand emulsion tubes and needles did you use?

Mikuni original, replaced at Topham-Mikuni workshop in Germany. 

to fixitsan: Spark plugs are replaced 2k km ago by me for DPR8EA-9 from reputable dealer (i do not know if they can fake it), but i have pair of new ones on table prepared in need . 

#11 Lithil

Lithil

arrived on last train

• 8 posts

Posted 19 July 2024 - 06:22 pm

Today added on mixture screws +0.5 turns. No effect.

Thinking two options:

1. valves are out of tolerances or chain is sadly worn

2. aftermarket exhaust allows more air to be sucked back in to process, so i need to:

a) give more turns on mixture screw

b) put needles on higher position to allow more fuel flow 

Your thoughts ? 

#12 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,479 posts

Posted 20 July 2024 - 08:04 am

Mixture screw will only richen tick over and a little above. Think I'd restrict the air coming in to see if it improves the engine response.

Could always check the valve clearances and timing to rule them out.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#13 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,727 posts

Posted 20 July 2024 - 10:08 am

Today added on mixture screws +0.5 turns. No effect.

Thinking two options:

1. valves are out of tolerances or chain is sadly worn

2. aftermarket exhaust allows more air to be sucked back in to process, so i need to:

a) give more turns on mixture screw

b) put needles on higher position to allow more fuel flow 

Your thoughts ? 

Option B worth trying

#14 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,135 posts

Posted 20 July 2024 - 04:23 pm

I agree raise the needles a notch, if still too weak at max needle height you might have to go up a size on the main jet

Edited by leehenty, 20 July 2024 - 04:25 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users