10 replies to this topic

#1 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:34 am

Had bike out last night for a quick run went fine - and stopped at mates for cup of tea - heading back onto motorway for short blast home - it then started to splutter - thought may be fuel so changed to reserve - but continued to splutter so ended up on hard shoulder. Managed to get it started but only one one cylinder and it was popping and banging and on to two occaisonally but mostly on one cylinder. Managed to nurse it along motorway on one cylinder  and then after a couple hundred yards on one - pop pop bang onto two - then it cleared up and ran fine the last wee bit home -

any ideas?

just had new plugs fitted and it was dry and no rain - so unlikey to be HT short -

Edited by mh1848, 08 May 2013 - 11:35 am.

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#2 SteveK

SteveK

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:09 pm

Maybe contamination in the fuel, has the bike been standing for a while?
Full Givi luggage, MRA flip screen with German import top blade, Garmin sat nav, LED running lights, heated grips, Fender extender.
Follow my 2013 Pyrenees tour on http://pyreneestdm.tumblr.com

#3 Sidarta

Sidarta

just half a litre to go

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:49 pm

Hi mh1848!

It would be interesting to inspect the connection to HT pipe candle.

Contaminated fuel? Lack of air into the tank?
Diaphragm fuel pump (vacuum), starting to show signs of fatigue?
Coil?
Are items to check.

NOTE: It is rare, I've seen bad new sails presenting problem.

Cheers!

Sidarta

Att
Sidarta 

TDM850 ano 2001
 Honda XLX 250 1988 
Honda Tornado 2005 - Honda CB400 1982 
Honda CB350 1972 e 1973

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,261 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:49 pm

Was the fuel tank nearly empty matey ? 

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:47 pm

Was the fuel tank nearly empty matey ? 

Hi Studs

no 75 miles out of a full tank - but it had been lying about a month - hate intermittent faults grrr

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#6 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:23 am

I had a similar problem with my old MKII,  felt like dropping a cylinder then all of the sudden it would cure itself and take off, then run fine for a few day, then it would reappear.

Check you connections to the starter solenoid the black box where the main 30A fuse sits. make sure there is no corrosion.

1999 TDM850 MKII Black, Silver (Sold)
2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#7 timoc

timoc

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:33 am

I had a Ducati that had this problem, it was an intermitant HT coil breakdown. Replaced the coil and all was ok.

No more a TDM owner :sorry: moved on to the Tracer :)

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,261 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:31 am

If it happens again, have a good look at the rocker cover to see if the thermostat housing is leaking onto it.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#9 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:44 am

I had a similar problem with my old MKII,  felt like dropping a cylinder then all of the sudden it would cure itself and take off, then run fine for a few day, then it would reappear.

Check you connections to the starter solenoid the black box where the main 30A fuse sits. make sure there is no corrosion.

Hopefully not a problem as last year i fitted a new fusebox and solenoid because of the exact problem you suggest - but will double check all connections - that went through my mind when it happened.

I had a Ducati that had this problem, it was an intermitant HT coil breakdown. Replaced the coil and all was ok.

This was another thought - i have a spare i can check and try but may read okay on ohm-meter - and still break down under load

If it happens again, have a good look at the rocker cover to see if the thermostat housing is leaking onto it.

NOt thought of that but wil check and all other suggestions over the weekend and will post once further investigation

cheers

#10 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,193 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:54 am

Good luck MH as you said intermittent is 'orrible. 

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#11 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:27 pm

fingers crossed you will find and solve the prob soon, 

1999 TDM850 MKII Black, Silver (Sold)
2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: one cylinder, misfire

0 user(s) are reading this topic