1 reply to this topic

#1 pabroon74

pabroon74

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 57 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:43 pm

Hello all.

Bit of a lurker, I tend to read but not post. However, I have a questions.

I've had TDM's (4TX's) for years now, I'm on my second one with the odd BMW or KTM in between. What I've got is an old P Reg 4TX that was stolen and recovered - after that, I bought another 4TX (S reg.) Since then the S reg bike developed a fatal engine fault - I think the (please excuse the poor nomenclature) piston/s became detached from the drive shaft hee haw thingy. The noise was, erm, interesting.

In any case, we yanked that engine off and put the P reg engine in. But the P reg needs (at least) valve clearances done - also, it was stolen and I reckon, by the sound of it (incredibly rough, back firing and quite violent popping you can feel coming from the top of the carbs via the air box directly into your crotch - an interesting sensation to say the least.) There may  be more wrong with it.

My question would be, is it worth using the parts from the S reg engine's top end to replace that of the P reg engine? The S reg engine had done a good 70 odd thousands miles. The P reg engine had only done about 40k - albeit the last 80 or 90 of them was probably on the back wheel with a pikey in charge.

Just thought I'd ask.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul.

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,242 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:46 pm

:welcome:  to da club Paul.

I'd hazard a guess and say you probably need to set the carbs up first to see if it's them that's causing the popping an a fartin'.  The engine might be fine so there's no point in spending lotsa money on swapping bits over.  If the P engine still runs rough them maybe consider refurbing the top end of that.  The S engine might have bent valves and other damage so would cost more to refurb then swap the top end over.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Engine, cams and valves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users