Photo
- - - - -

Tdm 900 For 1.78M Height - Modifications Possible?

TDM 900 modifications height

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 pazof

pazof

arrived on last train

• 8 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:01 am

Hi everyone,

The time has finally come for me to purchase my dream bike: the TDM 900. Searched the market, found my perfect match and set out all happy to go give it a shot.

Once on the bike though, something just didn't click. The seating position seemed a bit weird to me; I started the engine and gave it a go, and during turns and low-speed maneuvers in general I had quite a hard time making the bike go precisely where I wanted it to.

Overall I felt that the steering wheel is a bit too far front, which I felt was impeding the amount of control that I have, requiring me to stretch my hands almost all the way when it is turned as far left or right as it can go.

The second issue that troubled me was that my feet are not in complete contact with the ground - it's not too bad, but it would certainly feel more convenient if they were. Trying to move the bike backwards required quite some effort. My height is 1.78m.

At this point I should mention that this is officially my first bike - I've owned a couple of scooters up to 300cc, driven bikes like the Transalp 650, the CBF600 and the V-Strom 650, but never anything as "big" as the TDM.

So, my question(s) to you guys: Do you believe it's too much of a long shot? Is the fact that the wheel feels too far front and that one's feet are not in complete contact with the ground a matter of getting used to, or is the TDM simply not suited for my height? Are there any modifications that people with smaller heights do to overcome these issues? I've read about replacing the steering wheel, replacing the seat, adjusting the seat height, installing handle bar risers...

I'd really appreciate any opinions you guys have on this. I was just about to close the deal as I never thought it could really go that bad, and now it just feels like something broke inside me, and the possibility that I might eventually be forced to accept that my dream bike just isn't suited for me after all...is dangerously close.

For the record, the bike version is the TDM 900 (RN11), 2003, no ABS.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Edited by pazof, 26 May 2017 - 09:59 am.

#2 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:09 am

I have a friend who has a TDM 900. He is 1.70 and has no problems handling the TDM.

I have a feeling that you just need to get more experience (as you write, it is your first bike). The TDM 900 is one of the easiest bikes to ride/handle even for newbies  ;)

Just keep at it.

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,246 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:45 am

Hi and welcome pazof.  Sounds like you just need to build up your confidence, eat an extra weetabix, :) and maybe make a few relatively minor changes to the bike.

Up and back bar risers will bring the handlebars closer to you and you could either wear boots with chunky soles or get the seat sculpted so you sit slightly lower on the bike.

I'm around the same height as you and can't get my feet down fully on a 9'er, I adjusted the rear suspension to lower the bike (longer dog bones) but felt it was too low, esp. on the bends and going over road humps.  Caught the exhaust a few times.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,408 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:44 am

Hi
Eat more cake - it will have the same effect as longer legs.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#5 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:48 pm

Hi
Eat more cake - it will have the same effect as longer legs.

Yeah, but the increase in belly size will prevent the arms from reaching the handlebars....

#6 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,807 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:34 pm

pazof dont be put off at all, most bikes need a little attention to suit different riders, a few slight alterations and you will be fine, get the fork legs raised 10mm up through the yolks to begin with and see how you go for a start then look at other ideas mentioned above, there are lot's of chaps your height riding 900's plus you need a little time to adjust to a new bike.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:17 pm

You could get the seat lowered and put longer dogbones in.

#8 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:01 pm

I'm 162.56 cm (every little counts). My seat isn't lowered as such but it's 8 years old and been on three TDM's and has definitely squashed over time. I have up and back bar risers and Daytona Lady Star built up boots. The men's version are called Daytona Mstar. I manage just fine. Don't give up, it's a super bike once you get used to it.
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#9 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,833 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:09 am

Welcome there !

2 things that can make any bike hard to control: Low tyre pressure and tyre wear (esp. rear tyre squaring off caused by more upright riding than turning)

Bjørge

#10 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,529 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:28 pm

Sometimes an option when paddling the bike may be to remove the seat (you may need a cushion!). Dog bones change was the answer for me - not a difficult job. And I dropped the front end over the forks an inch (I never grounded it). I also fitted up-and-back bar risers. I too would question tyre condition as regards cornering as I never had that problem. When I became a really old geezer it was the bike's tallness that forced its sale. There is something special about owning and riding a TDM so maybe consider some changes and give yourself the best chance.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#11 fayeslane

fayeslane

seems to like Carpe

• 45 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:23 am

High heels :D 

#12 pazof

pazof

arrived on last train

• 8 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:50 am

After reading all your comments and trying a couple more TDMs, I decided to go for it.

Been 3 days now already, I've driven around 650km, the bike already feels familiar, to the point that I actually can't really reproduce the feelings that sprang the doubts in me in the first place anymore.  :) (EDIT: To anybody reading who's having similar doubts, that's with the factory settings - I didn't need to modify anything after all, it was just a matter of getting used to).

I am very satisfied with my choice, and I want to say a big THANK YOU to each and every one of you guys for urging me to go for it.

Safe rides to everyone!

Edited by pazof, 30 May 2017 - 08:53 am.

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,246 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:35 am

Congratulations on your wise purchase. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#14 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,833 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:01 am

Congrats !

Bjørge

#15 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:57 am

Nice purchase !

Ride near the sidewalk... :P

top_640.png

#16 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,807 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:19 pm

Woopwoop good choice  :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TDM, 900, modifications, height

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users