#1 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 18 September 2024 - 04:44 pm

My speedo needle is bouncing around like a crazy person...When I parked it up 3.5 years ago it was bouncing at something 05 to something 15 (sorry officer cant remember the first digit) when it was being pushed a bit.

Now it bounces at 60 goes up to 80 but every now and then it steady at 60 with the odd flicker.

I have a new cable,speedo drive (front wheel),and clock set comming its not the wheel as I have just changed that and its the same.

So any pointers... I understand clocks need to be face up in storage and when It was packed up it was not upside down in my garage hanging from the rafters.

Back on trhe road now mot fail for headlight too low (just put the hagon on it) and on the way there it went onto reserve and back fired a tad and split the stock exhaust headers (both) at the head end.

Had a spare Delkavik to put on.

Edited by MickC, 18 September 2024 - 04:45 pm.

#2 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 September 2024 - 05:24 pm

I'd start with giving the cable and good clean and re-grease. Take it off, can get a good look that way. I always try the cheap options first.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,183 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 18 September 2024 - 06:49 pm

Wot Catte said. I managed to get rid of a lot of bounce by meticulously cleaning everything. I may have resorted to a new cable in the end. Much betterer now...but not perfect.

Never tried new clocks but imagine that will be where the problem stems from.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 19 September 2024 - 08:19 am

New cable came yesterday so will try that today (if it dosent rain,got an old crappy tyre on front) grease it first then slip it in (the cable).

#5 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,727 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 September 2024 - 04:17 pm

My speedo needle is bouncing around like a crazy person...When I parked it up 3.5 years ago it was bouncing at something 05 to something 15 (sorry officer cant remember the first digit) when it was being pushed a bit.

Now it bounces at 60 goes up to 80 but every now and then it steady at 60 with the odd flicker.

I have a new cable,speedo drive (front wheel),and clock set comming its not the wheel as I have just changed that and its the same.

So any pointers... I understand clocks need to be face up in storage and when It was packed up it was not upside down in my garage hanging from the rafters.

Back on trhe road now mot fail for headlight too low (just put the hagon on it) and on the way there it went onto reserve and back fired a tad and split the stock exhaust headers (both) at the head end.

Had a spare Delkavik to put on.

I once had a new cable which wasn't quite long enough, and the square drive at the top only just mated with the square socket on the speedo, for most of the time.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#6 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 19 September 2024 - 05:06 pm

Couldnt be arsed takeing fairing off so just replaced inner cable the one comming out did stick slightly so I thought that was it, at first result all smooth then slight flicker at 60 by about 5mph each way but did stop at times then it got slightly worse.So waiting for clock set and speedo drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users