11 replies to this topic

#1 LAURENCEAUX

LAURENCEAUX

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 09 May 2024 - 11:55 pm

I came across this whilst pootling on YouTube.

Discussing bike stability in the 60's -70's I was staggered at the waywardness of many popular models. I was on a Honda 400 Super Sport then but do not remember this bike jumping around like theirs.

The sound is crap, but the film is startling.

#2 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,135 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 10 May 2024 - 08:23 am

Darwinism ? they were made to sort the men from the boys
I had a Yamaha XJ600 that weaved on Dunlop 203s causing some change of underwear moments, Bridgestone BT45 s sorted it

Edited by leehenty, 11 May 2024 - 07:52 am.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#3 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 10 May 2024 - 09:07 am

I remember my old man telling me about the big nob on the headstock (not the rider  :lol: ) that they could tighten up to help with stability.

Kind of like an early crude steering damping I guess.

Just early geometry and frames etc with too much flex.

#4 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,059 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 11 May 2024 - 09:37 pm

Reminds me of my old CB750F Integra, it had a hinge in the middle, most disconcerting.

My GT750 Kawasaki handled better but went into a terrible tank slapper just over 120mph, stopped if I could get to 130mph which was the ideal speed for keeping my visor clear in the rain.... Slowing down was very focusing.

I must have been nuts!

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#5 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,529 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 May 2024 - 03:20 pm

[quote name="Nog" post="400948" timestamp="1715332050"]I remember my old man telling me about the big nob on the headstock (not the rider  :lol: ) that they could tighten up to help with stability.
 Kind of like an early crude steering damping I guess.

I had that big knob on my first (1940s) bike (I was the other nob). You changed the compression of the spring, like you do for rear suspensions now. Front suspension damping could be adjusted with metal plates and bolt that could be tightened up or loosened. And the other assortment of springs were in the seat - nothing better. Gearboxes were upside down in those days, btw.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#6 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,755 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 13 May 2024 - 05:44 am

There you have it chaps, it's official.....more cake less wobble and weave. Get it down yer!
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#7 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 13 May 2024 - 12:40 pm

We survived because we learnt where the limit was quickly! If you were lucky enough, you only had to change underpants, if not, a few days rest surrounded by pretty nurses. :P    Like most in the 80's and 90's, I've had my share. CBX thou chasing a GPZ900, ton on a parkway bend that would be one handed on todays basic models, I swear I could see the forks bending sideways as it wobbled  and weaved through it. After that, I only took that bend at 95  :) 

#8 Tedious93

Tedious93

sticking around

• 22 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 13 May 2024 - 11:53 pm

Wobble? Oh! So that's what it was ... I just thought my RD400C was 'nervous' on the straight fast bits. As a result, I avoided long straight stuff and kept on twisty roads. More fun there anyway. I remember the steering dampers fitted to the RDs that raced ... wonder if it did any good(?). Never raced mine.

#9 LAURENCEAUX

LAURENCEAUX

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 14 May 2024 - 08:48 am

Wobble? Oh! So that's what it was ... I just thought my RD400C was 'nervous' on the straight fast bits. As a result, I avoided long straight stuff and kept on twisty roads. More fun there anyway. I remember the steering dampers fitted to the RDs that raced ... wonder if it did any good(?). Never raced mine.

One of my mates had one of those and being on a Honda 400 Four I was keen to compare them, being a two-stroke as it was. Coming around the last bend back to his house I intended to end on a flourish, opened her up, hit the never-before experienced powerband and initiated an unexpected wheelie. I got the nose down, chopped around a bit, parked up and said, "she's keen" with as much calm as I could muster, then went in to check my pants. Never again dare I ride a two-stroke, because of their Jekyll and Hyde off/on character.

My mate later admitted he thought I was going to bin it as the wheel began to lift.

Edited by LAURENCEAUX, 14 May 2024 - 08:50 am.

#10 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,059 posts

Posted 14 May 2024 - 09:22 pm

We survived because we learnt where the limit was quickly! If you were lucky enough, you only had to change underpants, if not, a few days rest surrounded by pretty nurses. :P    Like most in the 80's and 90's, I've had my share. CBX thou chasing a GPZ900, ton on a parkway bend that would be one handed on todays basic models, I swear I could see the forks bending sideways as it wobbled  and weaved through it. After that, I only took that bend at 95  :)

Last time I was home, a few years ago now, I noticed that a hedge on the western side of the Hartside pass still had a hole in it where my GT750 came to rest after decking the pipes and centre stand going through a downhill right hander 20 years earlier.

Of course others may have mimicked my cornering style in years since then.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#11 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,807 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 15 May 2024 - 08:39 am

Last time I was home, a few years ago now, I noticed that a hedge on the western side of the Hartside pass still had a hole in it where my GT750 came to rest after decking the pipes and centre stand going through a downhill right hander 20 years earlier.

Of course others may have mimicked my cornering style in years since then.

Oh but they have, Johnno where are you, that was on a yella 900, i'm sure others have followed  :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#12 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,059 posts

Posted 15 May 2024 - 09:48 pm

Oh but they have, Johnno where are you, that was on a yella 900, i'm sure others have followed  :)

It would take a bit more commitment to go berry picking on a TDM, impressed we are!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users