• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Karpo

Karpo

sticking around

• 24 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:11 am

(Briefly discussed this also on the introductions, but thought better to continue on a separate topic)

My 900 ABS starts surging after riding 10 to 15 minutes in the cold. Airbox done, CO adjusted, no surging on low revs in the warm.

I had this problem on and off back in autumn with heavy rain, but now it has become a daily pain with the temperature below zero most days.

Reading JBX website and the forums here lead me to believe this could potentially be related to the HT leads.

This morning I opened the side panels and to my surprise I could only find the left hand coil. In fact, I see no mention of the RH coil in the supplementary manual for the ABS model!

I must assume it still exists, so my question is; where is it? Has it been moved under the tank like on the 850? That would require quite a bit more effort to reach.

In any case, I taped up the lead to the LH coil, in hopes this would help a bit, but the surging was still there. Could it be the RH one? Am I an idiot and there isn't one?

Edited by Karpo, 25 January 2019 - 11:13 am.

2010 TDM900A 

1994 TDM850

#2 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:36 am

My non abs 2010 still has two.....maybe follow the lead from the rh plug?

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#3 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:32 pm

On the TDM900A both HT coils are located on the same lh side : one on the frame, the other on the fairing mounting bracket right below.

See it on the 2005 Service Manual (Suppl), page 14.

top_640.png

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,807 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:36 pm

Karpo if your lead was damp when you taped it up you'll still have the issue, i alway's  dried mine on the radiator overnight before taping up, you could also ring Magnecor for new leads, not expensive to buy but appear a quality lead.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,187 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:03 pm

If it's the leads... .Replace the leads!! If you still feel the need to tape magnificent magnecors as a back up to protect your new magnificent leads from breaking down loike the old juans... fill yer boots.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#6 Karpo

Karpo

sticking around

• 24 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:25 pm

On the TDM900A both HT coils are located on the same lh side : one on the frame, the other on the fairing mounting bracket right below.

See it on the 2005 Service Manual (Suppl), page 14.

So I'm just blind. Thanks!

2010 TDM900A 

1994 TDM850

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: surging, 900, cold, coils, leads, ABS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users