#1 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 22 October 2024 - 03:18 pm

Been on EBay looking for a fuel pump for the MK1.Will this do it 1 to 2 psi 60litre a min.Some of the EBay pumps go to 4 to 7 psi dont want to over pressure the carb.Thanks

https://www.ebay.co....JJZ9MX81DCRNVN0

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,196 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 22 October 2024 - 06:03 pm

From your other thread you mayhaps have a holy diapgrghhh ...flappy plastic bit.

I can't help with leccy pumps but the flappy plastic bit in yer mechanical pump can be replaced.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:00 pm

From your other thread you mayhaps have a holy diapgrghhh ...flappy plastic bit.

I can't help with leccy pumps but the flappy plastic bit in yer mechanical pump can be replaced.

Took pump apart all looks good inside diaphram ok pump diaphram needed a bit of a clean (did take pics but they came out crap,camera kept asking me to staedy the phone but was multitasking at the time and not much battery left) put it back together and it seems to be working ok....suck it to move it then it springs shut.

#4 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted Yesterday, 03:57 pm

From other peoples experiences with leccy pumps on early Tdm's, they tend to cause problems later on like leaking carbs and petrol pissing out of the over flow pipes constantly. They dont need a lot of pressure, in fact, they dont need any until your tank gets to about half full. Too strong a pressure and the needle valves cant close properly. I'd try and fix the original vacuum pump or go for the lower pressure pump, but then again its a trial and error jobbie. As an aside, on early Africa Twins, a popular upgrade is to replace the electric pump for a vacuum one. They reckon is more reliable.( than the standard AT one at least)

The one advantage  I can see with an electric pump is that you can prime the carbs if you run out of petrol and avoid having to give your bike a blow-job.

Edited by Pedro, Yesterday, 03:58 pm.

#5 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:22 pm

From other peoples experiences with leccy pumps on early Tdm's, they tend to cause problems later on like leaking carbs and petrol pissing out of the over flow pipes constantly. They dont need a lot of pressure, in fact, they dont need any until your tank gets to about half full. Too strong a pressure and the needle valves cant close properly. I'd try and fix the original vacuum pump or go for the lower pressure pump, but then again its a trial and error jobbie. As an aside, on early Africa Twins, a popular upgrade is to replace the electric pump for a vacuum one. They reckon is more reliable.( than the standard AT one at least)

The one advantage  I can see with an electric pump is that you can prime the carbs if you run out of petrol and avoid having to give your bike a blow-job.

Looking to keep the diaphram pump now as it seems ok....Dont realy want to be seem giveing my bike a blow job at side of road Non TDMers wont understand it :good:

#6 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,486 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted Yesterday, 05:46 pm

Looking to keep the diaphram pump now as it seems ok....Dont realy want to be seem giveing my bike a blow job at side of road Non TDMers wont understand it :good:

Us 9er owners do. :lol:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,265 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted Today, 11:56 am

Mk2a carbs can handle a leccy pump. Those Chinese vacuum pumps are up to the job if you're going to replace it, and they're cheap as chips.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users