robelst

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 05 July 2008 - 04:54 pm

QUOTE(GuyGraham @ Sat 5th Jul 2008, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The constant back and forth shocks as lemonentrails quite rightly points out from the acceleration and deceleration, makes the sprocket rock back and forth.

I suppose the free-play on the drive-train of early TDMs the size of Norway will give some additional hammering as well rolleyes.gif
That was not a banana, Dougal

#122 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,183 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 05 July 2008 - 05:43 pm

QUOTE(robelst @ Sat 5th Jul 2008, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suppose the free-play on the drive-train of early TDMs the size of Norway will give some additional hammering as well rolleyes.gif

rotflmmfao.gif yup......mine is like a sloide'ammer for sure.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#123 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:35 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Sat 5th Jul 2008, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will strip doon one of me garden ornaments at some point and see if there is any wear to any of the components atween the clamping faces on the shaft.

Keep us informed - pictures will be required!

On the DRZ, it can damage the 2nd gear bushing, and cause the transmission to lock up solid when riding

The way to check for damage on the DRZ is to torque up the sprocket nut, remove the chain, and then with the bike in neutral, turn the output shaft by hand.
Any binding or roughness felt is an indication that damaged has been done to the 2nd gear bushing and needs to be replaced or it locks the gearbox solid, as it welds itself to the output shaft

#124 slartybartfarst

slartybartfarst

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:19 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Mon 30th Jun 2008, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dont buy all yammie, not needed good.gif
i also wouldnt spend the extra on x-ring, o-ring is more than enough wink.gif

Ordered the Yam kit in the end - £139 rolleyes.gif , they wanted £30 for the front sproket of 9'r. Seemed simplest route as the quality is good and getting it won't involve any costly postage or missing the courier/postman shinanigins. I also ordered the nut and washer just to be on the safe side.

I also ordered the two rear bungee hook brackets. (These are swapped when you fit a Givi Monorack and I want to sell the rack complete). One side is £7.50 and the other £6.50 huh.gif go figure.

Slarty

Honda CB100N, BSA C15G, Honda 400/4, Kawka Z250, BSA A65 Firebird Scrambler, Moto Guzzi Le Mans Mk1, Suzuki GP100, BSA B44 Special, Ducati Pantah 500, Yamaha XS 650 Flat tracker, TDM 900.

#125 lemonentrails

lemonentrails

Carpe Regular

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:38 pm

QUOTE(GuyGraham @ Sat 5th Jul 2008, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not all other bike have this set up But their sprockets nuts and tab whashers still come loose
[many bikes have the shoulder on the output shaft directly behind the the gearbox sprocket bearing and hence the 2nd gear bushing is isolating from the pressure / rocking movement - these bikes never have the sprocket come 'loose' Yes they do
I glad its never come loose for you in 14 years, but there are quite a few on here, for whom they have, and for some of those it has trashed their output shaft. the output shaft on their bikes were trashed because they ran too long with loose sprockets

Could you explain to me then how the small gap appears twixt sprocket and oil seal collar when said collar (and bearing) is an extreeeemly tight fit needing 10's of tons of hydraulic pressure to move as someone in this very thread or one similar had to apply to remove the bearing and collar?
Also said collar would have to move inwards towards gearbox internals to allow a gap to appear before the sprocket can become loose and rock, this is, if we assume the situation is as you describe it and the nut does not loosen itself?
Which large force would it be and where does it come from to move said collar/bearing.

Once the sprocket has come loose and started to fret the spline so it is no longer a snug fit, no matter how tight the nut it will always be a weak point and be prone to coming loose and rocking back and forth again.So using loctite on the splines in this situation is a good idea.

By the way I read this thread from beggining to end severel times, every time it came up and I am in full understanding of what you are saying ,I dont doubt the situation with drz is anything other than how you say it is. But this is a tdm we are talking about however similar the gearbox setup.
Lem

Mk1black ()60+k,micron system, nice but not naughty,k&n,dynojet stage 1. port job, polished head and pistons . lowered h/bars.lowered yokes 7mm ish ,Avon Storms ,top bannanas!EBC DISCs and damned fine they are too!!!..rust an all...oh and a cracked frame.Now welded up and so far so good .....Mk1 with squire sidecar sidecar,metmachex deep brace swing arm, suzuki 6" rim &car tyre , whole plot lowered a bit.sidecar heater to keep madam cosy! LL forks coming to a bike near me soon.

#126 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:08 pm

QUOTE(lemonentrails @ Sat 5th Jul 2008, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could you explain to me then how the small gap appears twixt sprocket and oil seal collar when said collar (and bearing) is an extreeeemly tight fit needing 10's of tons of hydraulic pressure to move as someone in this very thread or one similar had to apply to remove the bearing and collar?
Also said collar would have to move inwards towards gearbox internals to allow a gap to appear before the sprocket can become loose and rock, this is, if we assume the situation is as you describe it and the nut does not loosen itself?
Which large force would it be and where does it come from to move said collar/bearing.

Once the sprocket has come loose and started to fret the spline so it is no longer a snug fit, no matter how tight the nut it will always be a weak point and be prone to coming loose and rocking back and forth again.So using loctite on the splines in this situation is a good idea.

By the way I read this thread from beggining to end severel times, every time it came up and I am in full understanding of what you are saying ,I dont doubt the situation with drz is anything other than how you say it is. But this is a tdm we are talking about however similar the gearbox setup.
Lem

Like I siad, I don't know what wears on a TDM as I've never examined the bits from a bike where it came loose
It may be the 2nd gear bushing, it maybe the oil seal spacer, it maybe the sprocket itself - dunno

All I'm saying, is this is a fix for the problem (loose sprockets, but nut still held in place by the lock washer still bent over onto one flats of the nut), as developed and proved out on the DRZ.

In all of my bikes from the last 20 years have I have never had a sprocket or nut come loose, except the DRZ, for the reasons already given, as all of those bikes had a transmission design whereby the 2nd gear bushing was behind the shoulder on the output shaft.

QUOTE(lemonentrails @ Sat 5th Jul 2008, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Not all other bike have this set up But their sprockets nuts and tab whashers still come loose"

- not on my bikes they haven't.

Edited by GuyGraham, 09 October 2009 - 01:23 pm.

#127 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:56 pm

tink oil opt ferra boike with shaft droive nex toime huh biggrin.gif

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#128 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,183 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:29 am

2000+ (ish) miles later and the sprocket is solid. So its either: New nut, New washer, loctite 638 on the spline/sprocket interface, normal locite on the shaft thread that has prevented me gettin any output shaft issues.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#129 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:45 pm

Changed my chain and sprockets yesterday as the OEM chain had had it after 30K miles

Front sprocket nut, whilst not loose, was no where near the 70Nm it should have had on it
It had around 10-15Nm of torque - as soon as I applied some pressure to the ratchet it came undone
Tab washer was still bent over nut, indicating the nut hadn't moved

On my last MkII, the front sprocket lasted 60K miles and put up quite a fight when I had to replace it, so I was expecting the same this time as well, as it only seems to be MkI's with self loosening front sprocket nuts

New sprocket (JT) went on with Loctite 638 on the splines, and 70Nm of Torque,

This JT sprocket had zero play in it when fitted to the shaft, like the OEM Yam one that came off
It was nothing like the one Wicky had, where the splines were visibly smaller than the OEM yam one, and plenty of slop

Loctite them sprockets on boys and girls

EDIT BY TONYDEVIL :
3VD/mk1 part numbers for sprockets and upgraded nuts etc are here http://www.carpe-tdm...?showtopic=9244
Locktite 638 (the industrial stuff) is your friend wink.gif

#130 David H

David H

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:25 pm

Sounds the same as mine was. 14k miles.
I replaced with a genuwine yammy kit.

#131 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 26 July 2008 - 11:36 pm

tanks Guy, that confirms it fer me then folks as oil be loctiting me nuts in place from now on.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#132 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:06 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Sun 27th Jul 2008, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
tanks Guy, that confirms it fer me then folks as oil be loctiting me nuts in place from now on.

loctiting the nut won't help - the nut don't move as its held in place by the tab washer

Loctite on the SPLINES is what is required

Edited by GuyGraham, 27 July 2008 - 08:07 pm.

#133 lemonentrails

lemonentrails

Carpe Regular

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:11 pm

QUOTE(GuyGraham @ Sun 27th Jul 2008, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
loctiting the nut won't help - the nut don't move as its held in place by the tab washer

Loctite on the SPLINES is what is required

Guy ,Just out of interest did u replace tab washer with new and if so what was the condition of the splines on the old one?
Lem

Mk1black ()60+k,micron system, nice but not naughty,k&n,dynojet stage 1. port job, polished head and pistons . lowered h/bars.lowered yokes 7mm ish ,Avon Storms ,top bannanas!EBC DISCs and damned fine they are too!!!..rust an all...oh and a cracked frame.Now welded up and so far so good .....Mk1 with squire sidecar sidecar,metmachex deep brace swing arm, suzuki 6" rim &car tyre , whole plot lowered a bit.sidecar heater to keep madam cosy! LL forks coming to a bike near me soon.

#134 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,183 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:16 pm

QUOTE(lemonentrails @ Sun 27th Jul 2008, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guy ,Just out of interest did u replace tab washer with new and if so what was the condition of the splines on the old one?
Lem

Replaced moine Lementity, and splines were snot noticeably worn.

#135 lemonentrails

lemonentrails

Carpe Regular

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:24 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Sun 27th Jul 2008, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Replaced moine Lementity, and splines were snot noticeably worn.

fairy snuff

#136 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:36 am

QUOTE(lemonentrails @ Sun 27th Jul 2008, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lem

Used the same tab washer, as it was mint
Splined section of the tab washer was like new

#137 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• 1,657 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:45 am

QUOTE(GuyGraham @ Sat 26th Jul 2008, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-//-
Loctite them sprockets on boys and girls

i wish someone had told me that a few years ago, ild still be on my '92 MK1
AND WOULDNT HAVE BROKEN DOWN IN IRELAND ON THE WAY BACK TO THE FERRY ... ranting.gif
I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.

yamaha : xv535/92-92 | red TDM850/92-05 | silver TDM900A/05-

get them here

#138 lemonentrails

lemonentrails

Carpe Regular

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:02 pm

QUOTE(GuyGraham @ Mon 28th Jul 2008, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Used the same tab washer, as it was mint
Splined section of the tab washer was like new

Jolly good, It had'nt slackened compleately and you caught it before any damage was caused !
So you dont advise loctite on the nut too,like wot I would ?

#139 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:16 am

QUOTE(lemonentrails @ Mon 28th Jul 2008, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jolly good, It had'nt slackened compleately and you caught it before any damage was caused !
So you dont advise loctite on the nut too,like wot I would ?

Not required on the nut, as the nut don't move, and is held in place by the tab washer
By all means put plenty on the nut but it won't stop this problem

Its the back and forth rocking of the sprocket on the splines that needs to be eliminated, which the Loctite 638 does by forming a thermoset plastic in the gaps between shaft and sprocket and hence stop movement

638 is robust enough not to get destroyed by the forces of acceleration and deceleration, where as the stuff you buy in Halfords etc is just crap (Loctite Stud 'n' Bearing for instance) and will get destroyed by the forces involved

#140 lemonentrails

lemonentrails

Carpe Regular

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:13 am

QUOTE(GuyGraham @ Tue 29th Jul 2008, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not required on the nut, as the nut don't move, and is held in place by the tab washer
By all means put plenty on the nut but it won't stop this problem

True, and Not once the sprocket has been allowed to rock n roll!which is the reason to loctite the nut in the first place the tab washer does allow slight movement once the rocking movement of the sprocket is transfered through washer to nut! yes indeedy seen it so many times. loctite wil stop this .
Its the back and forth rocking of the sprocket on the splines that needs to be eliminated, which the Loctite 638 does by forming a thermoset plastic in the gaps between shaft and sprocket and hence stop movement

Erm this is what i have been saying ,Stop the baggy nuts in the first instance and you stop the sprox rocking forces.

638 is robust enough not to get destroyed by the forces of acceleration and deceleration, where as the stuff you buy in Halfords etc is just crap (Loctite Stud 'n' Bearing for instance) and will get destroyed by the forces involved

The stud n bearing fit is adequate for its intended porpoise!

People of the world lock up your nuts!
Bye bye

Edited by lemonentrails, 29 July 2008 - 09:15 am.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)