#101 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:53 pm

Nearly there now, just a few tidy ups and the Fuel can on, time to rest. unsure.gif

#102 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:51 pm

All Done. Added the Lube tube too. Give it a run tomorrow see how it drips.

#103 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:23 am

i'd use cheap or used enjun oil or chainsaw oil but i would not use pissy WD40.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#104 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:53 am

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Mon 13th Apr 2009, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'd use cheap or used enjun oil or chainsaw oil but i would not use pissy WD40.

I've got about 2 litres of used engine oil I was thinking of using in the scottoiler.

Has anyone used it and found its ok, or any reason not to use it?

#105 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:00 am

I thnk viscosity is reasonably important as it has to get down the little fine tubey nozzle bit.

I suspect any lubricant would do (but it has to be compatible with O rings on the chain, not perish rubber as it pings on to the sidewall of the tyre, and thin enough to flow but not piddle out, or too thick to allow bits - grit and shit (...poetic!) to stick.

Cheapskate wink.gif one bottle of Scotoil will last an entire season provided you have the drip rate set right.

#106 OldGreyWizard

OldGreyWizard

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:08 pm

I've had Scoties on five of my previous bikes, it extends chain life by at least three times. I don't think I'd ever consider using anything other than scottie oil.
For the TDM 900 I chose to mount the reservoir under the seat with the feed pipe running on top of the right side of the swing arm The pipe then passed through the rear wheel spindle. I used the left swing arm bobbin to locate the drip right over the chain. It does add a minute or two to wheel adjustment but does work a treat.
My bike had a hard winter and is suffering badly from salt corrosion, except where the scottie oil protected it.

#107 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:23 am

Glad it worked for you, but why on earth run along the right side of the swing arm and go through the spindle.

You'll have to disassemble everything at tyre changes and as you say makes chain adjustment awkward.

Mine runs along the left swingarm, so its straight down to the chain and never needs to be fussed with.

#108 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:36 pm

Have ordered a new chain and sprocket set as mine are completely knackered. Decided to fit a scottoiler at same time and checked out various prices on ebay and found the best at a company I had used before called DK Motorcycles, the price delivered was £59.99. This company provides really great service; I only placed the order on easter Sunday and it arrived today (Wed 15/4). good.gif
Now on 9er number 2 .....

#109 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:51 pm

I'm a tad pi**ed off.

Fitted mine a few weeks back, primed it but never used it as I'm going to use the Chain lube sprays I have stock off.
Last week, I'm posted to Dorking. Dorking to Oxford is a good 130 miles a day. Time for the scottoiler.

The bloody thing has thrown oil everywhere apart from the chain. ranting.gif

Had some time today. Its this thing causing the problem.
Now. Am I supposed to glue it to the pump? It pushes in and when I fire the bike up, pisses out.

Reviewed the manual, I don't get it. huh.gif

Put me right please. What am I doing wrong.

#110 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:14 pm

I normally put a cable tie around mine JIC but it should not be forcing oil out of there. the resevoir should never be presurised, if the diaphragm fails it can become neg presurised sucking the oil back in to the intake.
TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#111 Guest_Paddy900_*

Guest_Paddy900_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:20 pm

Just asking Martin,

Did you attach the breather pipe onto the end?

#112 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:58 pm

Hmmm dry.gif

It's attached to the Lube Tube, is that why?

#113 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:31 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Sun 26th Apr 2009, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm dry.gif

It's attached to the Lube Tube, is that why?

Ahhhh! is the lube tube squashed into a small space or being pressed on to by something else.
That would cause the positive presure that would cause it to leak.
TAM

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#114 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:29 pm

want me to pop over boss?

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#115 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:44 pm

Tried it again last night before bed, just venting into nothing, oil leaked.

Will have a think now, cant be arsed, just did Reigate in the rain.

Tony, hold fire on visits........you know why. hide.gif

#116 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:46 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Mon 27th Apr 2009, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tried it again last night before bed, just venting into nothing, oil leaked.

Will have a think now, cant be arsed, just did Reigate in the rain.

Tony, hold fire on visits........you know why. hide.gif

no worries, shout if ya wanna pop over.....i'll be in the garage fitting bits wink.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#117 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:55 pm

Popped over to Tony's this evening.
He agrees. It leaks alright.
Coming from that rubber vent. We set it up so the vent is on the top. Primed it and when I got home oil had reached the chain, so it's working.

It's either the rubber vent plug being faulty or the hole in the pump being too big. All brand new too.
Day off Friday, will ring them to see what to do.. dry.gif

#118 Guest_Paddy900_*

Guest_Paddy900_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:21 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Mon 27th Apr 2009, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It leaks alright.
Coming from that rubber vent. We set it up so the vent is on the top.

CB did you have the vent pointing downwards before?

Mine was always put with the vent on the top.

The only other thing is dont put the flow on to fast.

#119 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:56 pm

I'll see how it runs Paddy. But for the rest of the week I'm in the truck. Too much wet for one day. mellow.gif

Oh, you asked about that, still not fixed. Awaiting a ship to arrive in Southampton Waters. rolleyes.gif

#120 Jankers

Jankers

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:13 pm

Where do the 850 owners of Scotoiler place the (standard) reservoir?

Just wondered as mine is attached to the underside of the seat frame, the pipe then
follows the frame to the swinging arm then along the arm to the rear sprocket.

Makes filling a little awkward and impossible to fill completely but otherwise seems to work ok.

J.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users