312 replies to this topic

#101 Stoph

Stoph

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 148 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:10 am

Found myself with an hour to spare last night and NO RAIN!!! Decided nothing to lose by trying as am really not happy with rideability at low revs/traffic/low speed trundling and although in an ideal world there would be no traffic.... well anyway, did option 1 last night and popped out for a ride, there is definitely an improvement.. not sure its life changing but is better,wouldnt say there is more torque either just nicer to ride, will need to try with pillion for fair comparison as thats when I really notice the snatchiness and jerking. whilst I was out I fiddled with CO settings to try and smooth out the light throttle... ie 2nd gear 2500rpm constant speed where it surges like crazy back and forth, have checked with Yam who say bike does not need the recall for TPS as they had it sorted by my chassis number... Anyway initial CO was set at 30 and 19 which goes somewhat against the theory that C2 should be set a bit richer... tried richening both up to 35 and produced a smoother low speed response again although not as noticeable as airbox mod, eventually settled on 20 and 20 and see how that goes, dont want to be too rich, checked with my old man who also has a 900 and his is set at 18 and 17... will probably never know unless I can lay my hands on a gas analyser whats right!

So overall a good.gif for the airbox mod, and ranting.gif for resting my leg against the exhaust whenI got back having removed bike trousers... it smarts a little today!!!

Stoph.

#102 mred

mred

discovering Carpe

• 15 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:24 pm

I am not sure id want to mess with the fuel mixes. I know you can put them back but I would not want to upset anything as I am NO Mechanic!

#103 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:05 pm

QUOTE(Stoph @ Thu 19th Jul 2007, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Found myself with an hour to spare last night and NO RAIN!!! Decided nothing to lose by trying as am really not happy with rideability at low revs/traffic/low speed trundling and although in an ideal world there would be no traffic.... well anyway, did option 1 last night and popped out for a ride, there is definitely an improvement.. not sure its life changing but is better,wouldnt say there is more torque either just nicer to ride, will need to try with pillion for fair comparison as thats when I really notice the snatchiness and jerking. whilst I was out I fiddled with CO settings to try and smooth out the light throttle... ie 2nd gear 2500rpm constant speed where it surges like crazy back and forth, have checked with Yam who say bike does not need the recall for TPS as they had it sorted by my chassis number... Anyway initial CO was set at 30 and 19 which goes somewhat against the theory that C2 should be set a bit richer... tried richening both up to 35 and produced a smoother low speed response again although not as noticeable as airbox mod, eventually settled on 20 and 20 and see how that goes, dont want to be too rich, checked with my old man who also has a 900 and his is set at 18 and 17... will probably never know unless I can lay my hands on a gas analyser whats right!

So overall a good.gif for the airbox mod, and ranting.gif for resting my leg against the exhaust whenI got back having removed bike trousers... it smarts a little today!!!

Stoph.

Hey Stoph is yer pops a member on here be any chance, has he a nicer 9er than you ???!!

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#104 Stoph

Stoph

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:06 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Fri 20th Jul 2007, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Stoph is yer pops a member on here be any chance, has he a nicer 9er than you ???!!

Be you casting a slur on the niceness of my 9er Mr Wickster???? Old man not a regular on here and his 9er is 2003, mines 2006, no nicer just newer! ! ! banana.gif

Stoph.

#105 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:14 pm

QUOTE(Stoph @ Fri 20th Jul 2007, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Old man not a regular on here

Shame on the man! tongue.gif tongue.gif

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#106 Guest_Matt_G_*

Guest_Matt_G_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:16 pm

Having had my 900 for nearly a year I was getting fed up with low speed lumpiness. I thought of getting rid but what else would I get?

I decided to try to love it and to sort it out. I was on the brink of forking out 250 quid for a Power Commander when I saw this. "Got to be worth a go, it's free after all" I thought and I did it this afternoon. Bloody wonderful!!! Big improvement and I like the bike better already.

Now I'm thinking about fiddling with the mixture, mine is set to 0 - 7 which looks too lean.

banana.gif

Edited by Matt_G, 23 July 2007 - 07:17 pm.

#107 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• 1,657 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:14 pm

intended on doing the airbox mod, printed the pages from JBX's site. but was a bit hesitant coz the dealer mentioned it might void the warranty.
Alan (dandywarhol) staid over yesterday, and he sorta convinced me to do it anyway... didnt take much convincing tho..

AND 20 minutes later.. WHAT A DIFFERENCE
no more jerkyness at low revs,
the sound is deeper
no hesitation revving up
easy to just roll below 4000rpm, even 2500rpm... no jerkyness at all.

grinded down a rivet and pushed it in the tube and the thin bit into the vaccuumswitch.
dont think the mechanic would even notice it.

Alan did notice there are 2 screws and a clip missing from the fairing dry.gif
ill have to have a word with the mechanic, hope he's not gonna continue where the previous one left off
I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.

yamaha : xv535/92-92 | red TDM850/92-05 | silver TDM900A/05-

get them here

#108 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:39 pm

Alan did notice there are 2 screws and a clip missing from the fairing dry.gif
ill have to have a word with the mechanic, hope he's not gonna continue where the previous one left off
[/quote]
ya don't let the gimp that fitted yer chain and sprox to yer MKI work on yer 9er rolleyes.gif

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#109 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:18 pm

nice1 boss! cool.gif
is it the same bloke that butchered the forks? unsure.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#110 BIKERWOMBAT

BIKERWOMBAT

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:14 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Sun 5th Aug 2007, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nice1 boss! cool.gif
is it the same bloke that butchered the forks? unsure.gif

Mine's a 2007 model owned for 5 weeks and still running in ie. no more than 4000rpm.

Did the airbox mod. 1 after owning for just one week after reading all the rave reviews.

Did a fuel consumption check yesterday and calculated an incredible 90mpg - 230 miles -11.5 litres.
Surely this cant be due just to the air box mod and running in conditions - perhaps it's running lean or a combination of all these things.

Anyone with any views ? I'm considering reversing the mod to see if it makes any difference to the mpg.

#111 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:28 pm

You sure your clocks not in KPH wombat - that would make it a still credible 57 mpg which most of them get.............. blink.gif

Edited by dandywarhol, 06 August 2007 - 01:29 pm.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#112 BIKERWOMBAT

BIKERWOMBAT

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:53 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Mon 6th Aug 2007, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You sure your clocks not in KPH wombat - that would make it a still credible 57 mpg which most of them get.............. blink.gif

No - its in miles ok - I'm keeping in check and running up to the first 600 mile service this weekend.

#113 SteveGlover

SteveGlover

850 going for 900

• 857 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:37 pm

QUOTE(BIKERWOMBAT @ Mon 6th Aug 2007, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did a fuel consumption check yesterday and calculated an incredible 90mpg - 230 miles -11.5 litres.

90mpg? I think you're taking this running in business too seriously yahoo.gif
I usually average about 55mpg, but have seen 60mpg for the odd tankfull.

#114 Guest_Mr Whattie_*

Guest_Mr Whattie_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:22 pm

While I was running in with standard pipes and no airbox mod, I mannaged 400kms before hitting reserve. Since fitting race exhausts and setting the C1/19 and C2/21 up by 5 points [still no air box mod] I'm getting 320kms before reserve. The exhausts have made a vast improvement on bottom end torque. There is practically no jerkiness, hence my hesitation to do the airbox mod [yet] Here in Johannesburg we are 5751ft above sea level, so I can't wait to get it down to sea-level to feel the performance!! It power wheelies pretty easily now, so it could be quite interesting down there hey?? I am going down to the coast within the next 2 weeks so I'll keep you guys posted on that. rolleyes.gif

#115 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• 1,657 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:32 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Sat 4th Aug 2007, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ya don't let the gimp that fitted yer chain and sprox to yer MKI work on yer 9er rolleyes.gif

different garage, different gimp
I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.

yamaha : xv535/92-92 | red TDM850/92-05 | silver TDM900A/05-

get them here

#116 Minty Hippo

Minty Hippo

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:36 pm

QUOTE(BIKERWOMBAT @ Mon 6th Aug 2007, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone with any views ?

mpg does not stand for millimetres per gill. I'd say either its only running on one pot or your pocket calculator is fooked. Or you own a C90. unsure.gif

#117 BIKERWOMBAT

BIKERWOMBAT

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:16 am

QUOTE(Minty Hippo @ Thu 9th Aug 2007, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mpg does not stand for millimetres per gill. I'd say either its only running on one pot or your pocket calculator is fooked. Or you own a C90. unsure.gif

Hmmm - the pipes and cans on both sides of the engine get pretty hot! All my rides are 50-60 miles - no stop start - so lots of top gear work so I expect good mpg (but not as good as 90).
Just unmodded the air box mod to get a new mpg reading with it put back to as built, but it'll soon be remodded after riding it! The difference the airbox mod makes is very significant after riding with both to compare - much smoother lower down with the mod.
Just need to get the fuelling checked - the CO settings are C1-14 and C2-16 at present.

#118 SteveGlover

SteveGlover

850 going for 900

• 857 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:55 am

In my experience changing the CO settings made no measurable difference to the mpg.
If the bikes running fine, and you're getting brilliant mpg, why worry about the CO settings? If it ain't broke...

#119 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:28 am

tink some peeps changed those CO settings in the past as the downpipes used to visibly glow hot at noight toime and 'blue off' when cooled ????

#120 robgosty

robgosty

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 187 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:45 pm

Well did it yesterday and what a difference, much smoother at low revs and no more jerks when filtering at low speeds, bike has just been serviced by Yamaha and they had no knowledge of this mod, co levels are set at 12 12 and all is fine banana.gif
Yamaha XV 1000
Kawasaki GPZ 750
Honda CBR 1000F
Yamaha XV1100 Virago
Yamaha Yellow TDM 900
Suzuki Hayabusa

Current
2000 Yamaha XJR 1300

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users