153 replies to this topic

#101 SteveK

SteveK

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:38 pm

My fast idle is stuck in the 'fast' position with the pin fully retracted so I will have ago at freeing it as per this thread.

Question is, does the wax-stat get damaged when the pin is seized in the 'in' position like this?  Does the pin punch a hole in the stat or cause it to crack when the expansion is prevented as it heats up?

Also, can the stat be tested when it is removed by dropping it in a jug of hot water, for instance and seeing movement?  Would be nice to know it is OK before reassembly.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

No damage to the wax stat, I think the spring just compresses more. I never thought to test mine that way when it was off but everything worked after reassembly.
Full Givi luggage, MRA flip screen with German import top blade, Garmin sat nav, LED running lights, heated grips, Fender extender.
Follow my 2013 Pyrenees tour on http://pyreneestdm.tumblr.com

#102 OldGreyWizard

OldGreyWizard

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:49 pm

DenH

This is one of those jobs that appears more difficult than it really is. You don't have to drain down the Rad, however the two "Cheese" screws do need to be replaced, perefereably with allen bolts, once you have mangeld them getting therm

out.

Good luck with the job

#103 Vaughny

Vaughny

arrived on last train

• 8 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:28 pm

I've got this exact problem, to which my local Yam dealer reckons is 2.5 hours work. Which to be fair, it is, but at £60 per hour, it's £150 I don't have.

Just ordered the boots, and need to order up the bolts. Hopefully can do this on the weekend.

#104 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,277 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:08 pm

When I did this I got some allen bolts but then found the heads were too wide to fit as the bolt holes are pretty close to the body. The old bolts came out pretty easily though so I reused them but put a bit of ACF50 on them before I put them back through

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#105 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,140 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:20 pm

if you use a brake pipe clamp on each of the two small pipes the water stays in no problem.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#106 DenH

DenH

arrived on last train

• 7 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:39 pm

Many thanks all.

OldGreyWizard, I have read up on doing the job without draining coolant and have purchased allen bolts as well.  Now that the weather is (hopefully) warming up there is no excuse for not getting on with it. 

I will let you know how it goes!

#107 Vaughny

Vaughny

arrived on last train

• 8 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:04 pm

With the great help of this thread, I managed to complete this job on Saturday. Didn't drain down the rad, or even touch it. If you've got a very good pair of mole grips/pliers you can just undo the bolts from there.

The only things I'll say is that the original bolts are treated so that they don't rust. Obviously a lot of coppergrease will help solve that problem.

#108 DenH

DenH

arrived on last train

• 7 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:57 pm

I got the job done today in about three hours.  No problem at all, just fiddly.

When starting from cold I have to use a little throttle or she will fire but stall.  Once running I can close the throttle and she will just about keep running at 1000rpm or below.  I just feel she would be happier if I could increase it a little for start-up.

Is there an adjustment I can make to the cold engine fast idle?  I am happy with the hot engine idle adjustment.

#109 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,807 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:13 pm

I got the job done today in about three hours.  No problem at all, just fiddly.

When starting from cold I have to use a little throttle or she will fire but stall.  Once running I can close the throttle and she will just about keep running at 1000rpm or below.  I just feel she would be happier if I could increase it a little for start-up.

Is there an adjustment I can make to the cold engine fast idle?  I am happy with the hot engine idle adjustment.

Right side of the engine Den ( sitting on the bike ) squat down and look just under the top frame member above the engine and you will see the idle adjustment tucked away,, you can twiddle it by hand m8,, 1100 to 1200 revs give the throttle a blip after.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#110 DenH

DenH

arrived on last train

• 7 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:51 am

Right side of the engine Den ( sitting on the bike ) squat down and look just under the top frame member above the engine and you will see the idle adjustment tucked away,, you can twiddle it by hand m8,, 1100 to 1200 revs give the throttle a blip after.

Yes I know that one!  It adjusts the normal warm engine idle speed and is set correctly..

I was looking to increase the idle revs for a cold start if it can be done as my bike fires but stalls unless I use some throttle.  Even after freeing off the fast idle pin which is now working properly.  Once running the revs build slowly to about 1500, then drop back to 1200 when warmed up.  Only a minor problem but wondered if there was adjustment.

I noticed that there is an adjustment screw on the end of the slider (left hand side) where it contacts the pin of the fast idle mechanism and wondered what that did?

#111 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,255 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:19 am

Yes I know that one!  It adjusts the normal warm engine idle speed and is set correctly..

I was looking to increase the idle revs for a cold start if it can be done as my bike fires but stalls unless I use some throttle.  Even after freeing off the fast idle pin which is now working properly.  Once running the revs build slowly to about 1500, then drop back to 1200 when warmed up.  Only a minor problem but wondered if there was adjustment.

I noticed that there is an adjustment screw on the end of the slider (left hand side) where it contacts the pin of the fast idle mechanism and wondered what that did?

That one does alter the tick over turning anti clock increases the cold tick over if memory serves me right, :good:

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#112 timoc

timoc

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:08 pm

Is this a job worth doing as a prevenetive measure, or if it ain't broke, don't fix it?

No more a TDM owner :sorry: moved on to the Tracer :)

#113 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,807 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:33 pm

Preventives always good i say,, but if it's okay wait till ya got nowt else to do,, dont take very long..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#114 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:51 pm

Is this a job worth doing as a prevenetive measure, or if it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Just done mine, it's an 08..... you'll have to do it soon I reckon.

#115 timoc

timoc

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:40 pm

Well, did this last night, not the most pleasant job. Managed to get one screw out with the vice clamp method, but ended up using a small chisel to get the other screw off, replaced with allen head screws. I seperated the unit in the frame, to save disconnecting the coolant pipes. Even though the bike has just over 6000 miles, the pin was stiff. All cleaned, copperslipped and sorted. Many thanks to all who contributed to this, I wouldn't have done it without the info here. :good:

No more a TDM owner :sorry: moved on to the Tracer :)

#116 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:52 pm

my bike had been sat for a few weeks over winter , the pin had corroded and wouldnt shift , got it cleaned up and greased at its mot , the engine had done almost 49000at the time (last week) its now heading for 50000 , tick over was just on the one thou but i turned it up a notch so its sitting between 1100 and 1200 :badgerrock:

#117 Stiggy

Stiggy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:21 pm

Had this on my '03 and now on my '07. Thing is, the plunger is working fine, but it looks like the slider is corroded (I use the bike year round, so road salt and wet weather isn't a great combo for it!). I spent a couple of weeks away on business where the bike just sat, which is where the issues started.

So I stripped, lubed the plunger and have even replaced the return spring - but from cold the slider still isn't returning properly to the 'fast' position. I can push it with my fingers and it starts up fine, then settles to idle when hot. But this puts it at risk of flooding (which happened the other week and is a ROYAL pain as the plugs are a pain to get at :( ).

Looks like I need to strip it again, get the slider plate off and polish it up. The flaming plate is held on with more cheese screws and they're even more inaccessible than the fast idle plunger - so I'm not looking forward to it....

#118 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,756 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:25 pm

IIRC Lee Henty made a new pin up for my bike, probably stainless!  Contact him and he may be able to do

the same for you and supply one of his CSM kits, you shouldn't need to touch it again!

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#119 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,140 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:43 pm

Chrisr your new pin was turned out of 316 stainless bar while U waited as your old one was er very U/S.

Lucky you were at my house with full access to the machines.

I think the fellow above has problems with the cross slider the pin bears onto. he will need to strip it down carefully, clean the slots as the screws are the cross head cheese type. I personally would replace these screws with stainless versions.There may be small brass rings under the screws for the slots to run on.

Is the spring that pushes it across still strong and not corroded ?

Usually, if the C/S pin has not been squashed out of round by mole grips wielded by the previous owner trying to free it  :rolleyes: , it can be cleaned and pressed back into service, fitting a rubber boot to stop the crud getting in there again.

Chrisr's bike must be the only one out there with a custom turned 316 stainless pin in the C/S mech.

That bit will not go rusty :)

Edited by leehenty, 15 April 2013 - 10:51 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#120 Stiggy

Stiggy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:29 am

Hi Lee - you're right, it's the slider, not the pin. The pin is uncorroded and moves freely (I stripped and checked it to be sure). I've already replaced the spring to no avail. Looks like I'll have to try and remove the slider. I know that the screws are the cheese variety - have already replaced the plunger ones with allen cap heads. The slider ones are even harder to get at though! I found mole grips far more effective to remove the cheese heads than a driver. Just pray I don't snap a head off!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users