#81 Peter Watts

Peter Watts

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 61 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:08 pm

QUOTE(Peter Watts @ Wed 6th Jun 2007, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there,
I have just bought an '05 900 and would like to do this mod. I find my bike to be very snatchy at low revs, annoyingly so. Can I get an English translation of this mod? Is it easy to do? I want to take the tank off to fit a Scotoiler anyway. Many thanks Peter, Derby UK

SORRY guys, just clicked the Union Flag and found English. Ooops.....
dry.gif

#82 Guest_Kav_*

Guest_Kav_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:53 am

Did the mod over the weekend and there's a definite improvement. It now feels like the old pair of socks that were rammed down the intake have been removed.

Cheers
Kav

#83 Mandi

Mandi

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:09 am

I have just had a 12,000 service and the air box mod. done at the same time. When I rode away from the bike shop I almost had to stop and check the number plate. It was like a different bike. So much faster and more responsive. I think it had not been performing well since my last service. Anyway the air box mod. has made some difference to my daily filtering through slow traffic – not quite so jerky - but not as fantastic as some of you say.

The best bit is, I usually start to think about filling up the tank at about 190 – 200 miles on the trip. When I got to work this morning I noticed the trip is on 212 and I still have two bars on the fuel gauge. Is it the air box mod. that has produced this extra fuel consumption or did they really "cods it up" last time it was serviced? Or did they pop a bit of extra fuel in the tank and not tell me?

Just another thought. What would happen if the guy who did the air box mod. did not block the end of the tube?

yahoo.gif
I don't commute, I just go for a ride morning and afternoon!

#84 SteveGlover

SteveGlover

850 going for 900

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:47 pm

QUOTE(Mandi @ Tue 10th Jul 2007, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just another thought. What would happen if the guy who did the air box mod. did not block the end of the tube?

It would probably run very badly at idle, maybe on just one cylinder, maybe even wouldn't idle at all.

#85 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:30 pm

Hi Mandi, some peeps rave on about the airbox mod after it has been done but a few tink it makes little or no difference, i tink the majority like yerself approve of it though.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#86 Guest_trevini_*

Guest_trevini_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:15 pm

It could be that the amount of difference the airbox mod makes is down to how well the co was setup prior to the mod. Having experimented a bit with mine, it certainly responds better for running a little richer since I fitted the Remus exhausts. Prior to exhaust change and co tinkering, the airbox mod made a noticeable difference to mine.

#87 BIKERWOMBAT

BIKERWOMBAT

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:57 am

Hi Folks,

I'm new to TDM's, mines a 2007 model.

Will this airbox mod be ok for my bike? I don't suppose there's been any engine changes this year from those previous and I haven't had it long enough to notice the engine running foibles mentioned in these threads.

#88 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:01 pm

QUOTE(BIKERWOMBAT @ Wed 11th Jul 2007, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Folks,

I'm new to TDM's, mines a 2007 model.

Will this airbox mod be ok for my bike? I don't suppose there's been any engine changes this year from those previous and I haven't had it long enough to notice the engine running foibles mentioned in these threads.

try it and see is my advice, it's very easy to do then undo if need be.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#89 BIKERWOMBAT

BIKERWOMBAT

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:52 am

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Wed 11th Jul 2007, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
try it and see is my advice, it's very easy to do then undo if need be.

Ok. Did option 1 easily last nite - no time to check the results - will do so at the weekend - looking forward to it!

#90 jaye

jaye

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:11 pm

I have just had a 12,000 service and the air box mod. done at the same time. When I rode away from the bike shop I almost had to stop and check the number plate. It was like a different bike. So much faster and more responsive. I think it had not been performing well since my last service. Anyway the air box mod. has made some difference to my daily filtering through slow traffic – not quite so jerky - but not as fantastic as some of you say.

The best bit is, I usually start to think about filling up the tank at about 190 – 200 miles on the trip. When I got to work this morning I noticed the trip is on 212 and I still have two bars on the fuel gauge. Is it the air box mod. that has produced this extra fuel consumption or did they really "cods it up" last time it was serviced? Or did they pop a bit of extra fuel in the tank and not tell me?

yahoo.gif

Hi Mandi, only just read your post; did your bike shop know about the mod or did you have to give them the info from here? And are they a Yamaha dealer? My 07 900 is nearly due its 6000 service and I wouldn't be confident to do it myself, but does it invalidate the warranty?

#91 Mandi

Mandi

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:37 pm

Hi Jaye,

Yes is was Yammy dealer but they knew nothing about it. I just printed the JBX information pages and they did if for me for nothing. I do have quite a good relationship with them and they will always do little bits for me for nothing. Possibly one of the advantages of being a "bird on a big bike" - a bit of a novelty! Not sure about the warrenty though - I guess you will have to ask them that. It is always a bit of a grey area. If something vaguely related to the air box went wrong they would blame the mod.

Let us know what happens.

good.gif

#92 Minty Hippo

Minty Hippo

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:07 pm

QUOTE(jaye @ Thu 12th Jul 2007, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My 07 900 is nearly due its 6000 service and I wouldn't be confident to do it myself, but does it invalidate the warranty?

My guess is it would depend on the dealer - but...nothing is going to go wrong with the airbox, believe me. The mod is very simple to do, and if you've done it yourself, you can undo it again just as easily. Just in case you had to send the back to be fixed under warranty you might want to undo it, but don't tell them you did it. cool.gif

#93 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:49 pm

QUOTE(jaye @ Thu 12th Jul 2007, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't be confident to do it myself.

Somebody once said "Everything you want is on the other side of fear". Go for it! smile.gif

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#94 jaye

jaye

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:44 pm

QUOTE(BIKERWOMBAT @ Thu 12th Jul 2007, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok. Did option 1 easily last nite - no time to check the results - will do so at the weekend - looking forward to it!

Spill the beans, then, how did it go? Or were you kept in by the rain?

#95 mred

mred

discovering Carpe

• 15 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:13 pm

Hi all, Im new to this forum and just bought my new 07 Tdm a three weeks ago.

I have done this Air box mod and to be honest did not seem to make any difference, if anything its a bit harder to start some times. My TDM is a 2006 Model.

Great bike though! and excellent forum banana.gif

#96 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:15 pm

QUOTE(mred @ Wed 18th Jul 2007, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all, Im new to this forum and just bought my new 07 Tdm a three weeks ago.

I have done this Air box mod and to be honest did not seem to make any difference, if anything its a bit harder to start some times. My TDM is a 2006 Model.

Great bike though! and excellent forum banana.gif

Harder to start ? are you sure you have a good seal on the pipe ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#97 mred

mred

discovering Carpe

• 15 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:30 pm

Yes I have screwed in a screw to the pipe which fits nice and tight. I have left the other part that the pipe fits onto free.

Its not a huge deal but just noticed it takes just a little more effort to start,

#98 Mitch

Mitch

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:07 am

Did you remove the pipe from the throttle body, if so you need to cap the spiggot that the pipe came off of.

Honda SS50

Honda CG125

Honda 250 Super Drean

Honda 751F1

Honda CX500

Kawasaki Z750E

TDM 900

PRP exhaust, Scottoiler touring, Yamaha Heated grips, Givi top box & panniers, Garmin, MRA Vario screen, fenda extenda, BMW hand guards. Nippy Normans bar risers. 'Nitram Special' parking light. Starcom. Hagon progressive fork springs. Hagon Monoshock with Remote Adjuster. SW-Motech mirror extenders.GIVI Engine Protectors.

BMW K1200LT (2000)

Nothing to add, has it all. :)

Kawasaki Z750E (1981)

In bits. :huh:

#99 mred

mred

discovering Carpe

• 15 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:24 am

QUOTE(avonne @ Thu 19th Jul 2007, 06:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you remove the pipe from the throttle body, if so you need to cap the spiggot that the pipe came off of.

I did option 1

Unplug the hose (in blue) from the flap actuator (in red) on the top of the airbox.
- Blank the hose off (very important). I suggest to fit a screw or a plug of the adequate size inside the hose.

#100 Mandi

Mandi

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:39 am

Or did they pop a bit of extra fuel in the tank and not tell me?

yahoo.gif

I think I was right. The second tank full since the service and air box mod. has produced the same as before. After the service I got 240 miles to the tank - now back to the 200 mark. blink.gif

Edited by Mandi, 19 July 2007 - 07:39 am.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users