tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 02 December 2006 - 05:46 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Sat 2nd Dec 2006, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi and welcome Marco.
Why do you want to switch manually??????????

He may not, the second 'schematic' with switch may be just for those people who like things easily reversible.
You know... the anal-retentive.
It certainly would show a doubter of the air flap mod the difference!
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#62 iz4dja

iz4dja

sticking around

• 30 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 02 December 2006 - 05:52 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Sat 2nd Dec 2006, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi and welcome Marco.
Why do you want to switch manually??????????

Hi dandy,
if I put in my power commander one map with more fuel i need more air , so i can balance the mixture.
For instance, when i go for a long travel i put in a map for low consume, instead when i drive with my crazy friends i put in an acceleration map with more torque yeahyeahyeah.gif

Also , in Italy every two years we must go to motor-office for to check the pollution from exausth and more, so i can set-up original values on my bike.

I like to find the best set-up for my driving so in every while i can improve my set-up. good.gif

Edited by iz4dja, 02 December 2006 - 05:58 pm.

TDR900 ABS Grey metallic audi"iron jenny"

#63 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:59 pm

Hi Marco
I don't understand how the additional wiring circuit can alter the Power Commander - surely you need to set it up through the USB port???

I have a Power Commander fitted and find the airbox modification gives no difference to the way the engine drives - just more intake noise................

In fact, when I had the TPS replaced I refitted the airflap back to standard. It should have no effect on the emissions for a test whether the flap is open or closed.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#64 SteveGlover

SteveGlover

850 going for 900

• 857 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:03 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Sat 2nd Dec 2006, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a Power Commander fitted and find the airbox modification gives no difference to the way the engine drives - just more intake noise................

Maybe they check that?

#65 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:53 pm

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Sat 2nd Dec 2006, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He may not, the second 'schematic' with switch may be just for those people who like things easily reversible.
You know... the anal-retentive.It certainly would show a doubter of the air flap mod the difference!

your a right wan you are !

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Sat 2nd Dec 2006, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Marco
I don't understand how the additional wiring circuit can alter the Power Commander - surely you need to set it up through the USB port???

In fact, when I had the TPS replaced I refitted the airflap back to standard. It should have no effect on the emissions for a test whether the flap is open or closed.

AE would that be a result of having yer engine tuned up so it over rides any negative effect the air flap may induce ???

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#66 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:56 pm

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Sat 2nd Dec 2006, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know... the anal-retentive.
It certainly would show a doubter of the air flap mod the difference!

You have an electric disposal unit fitted, with gas bypass? - cool bionics! cool.gif
Beats the hell out of the old colostomy. good.gif

Edited by Pict, 03 December 2006 - 02:58 pm.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#67 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 10:53 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Sun 3rd Dec 2006, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
your a right wan you are !
AE would that be a result of having yer engine tuned up so it over rides any negative effect the air flap may induce ???

Nah....I think the Power Commander sorts out the low speed fuelling pretty well - although the MAP I use is totally different to anything Dynojet produce - it was produced by the company which set the bike up on their dyno to suit the state of tune. I've got to say that the TPS change has sharpened up the low speed/mid range running much more..........it was running very rich towards the end - I gave it a handful on the rev limiter one time and Minty Hip was nearly asphixiated by the soot laugh.gif You should try it next time you're up here again - it's a different animal

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#68 Spirit

Spirit

seems to like Carpe

• 77 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:58 am

I tried this one (easily done, thanks to good description) but I don't notice any big difference. May be there are less vibrations at ~2500 when throttling up, but it could be my own imagination. huh.gif

However, what happens with the emissions? Are there any facts?
TDM 900 ABS - 2005 (Diamond Black/Gold) SOLD!!

#69 Croc

Croc

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:29 am

I have just read about the mod and tried it this am. I have to say that I noticed an immediate difference to the 'useability' under 4000rpm. Much smother and not nearly so 'snatchy'. If there is a small price to pay on fuel consuption - c'est la vie! banana.gif

#70 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:03 pm

After seven months of TDM ownership I finally cleared my backlog of SWMBO's DIY tasks and had some quality spannering time with my 900 today. Did the airbox mod - fantastic. 100% more rideable at low speeds. To prove it I went out & found a traffic jam (not too difficult today). Runs cleanly at very low speed, instant pick-up, no snatchiness. Why, oh why didn't I do this earlier? Next job, play with the CO settings.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#71 bilbob

bilbob

sticking around

• 26 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:00 pm

QUOTE(Matlock @ Mon 9th Apr 2007, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After seven months of TDM ownership I finally cleared my backlog of SWMBO's DIY tasks and had some quality spannering time with my 900 today. Did the airbox mod - fantastic. 100% more rideable at low speeds. To prove it I went out & found a traffic jam (not too difficult today). Runs cleanly at very low speed, instant pick-up, no snatchiness. Why, oh why didn't I do this earlier? Next job, play with the CO settings.

Hi all!
Just joined to add my appreciation for this mod. Performed yesterday during a bit of maintenance, and WOW! Immediate, clear difference!

Thanks a LOT!
yahoo.gif banana.gif

#72 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:34 pm

QUOTE(bilbob @ Mon 9th Apr 2007, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all!
Just joined to add my appreciation for this mod. Performed yesterday during a bit of maintenance, and WOW! Immediate, clear difference!

Thanks a LOT!
yahoo.gif banana.gif

Same here,

Did the mod 1, and what a brilliant change.

Smooter and less vibration.

Cheers, Ivan
I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#73 Doc

Doc

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:53 pm

QUOTE(bilbob @ Mon 9th Apr 2007, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all!

Thanks a LOT!
yahoo.gif banana.gif

Hi BB. Welcome to Carpe. Glad the mod worked so well. good.gif I'm sure you'll find lots more helpful hints and stuff on here.

#74 torbay

torbay

arrived on last train

• 8 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:48 pm

Instead of a switch why not have a little valve ????????? like the ones that control air flow in fish tanks ????

#75 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:03 pm

QUOTE(torbay @ Tue 15th May 2007, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Instead of a switch why not have a little valve ????????? like the ones that control air flow in fish tanks ????

why and what for ???

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#76 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:21 pm

To let the gas out of leathers with a quiet gentle hiss

#77 torbay

torbay

arrived on last train

• 8 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:27 pm

Earlier in this thread someone was on about electric switches and all that .................... My thought was that if you just make the pipe a bit longer and put an air control valve just under the front of the tank you can have it open or closed thats all "!!!!!!!!!!!

#78 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:18 pm

QUOTE(torbay @ Thu 24th May 2007, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Earlier in this thread someone was on about electric switches and all that .................... My thought was that if you just make the pipe a bit longer and put an air control valve just under the front of the tank you can have it open or closed thats all "!!!!!!!!!!!

mmmmmmmm i might fit one of those to the missus.

#79 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:44 pm

QUOTE(Croc @ Mon 9th Apr 2007, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have just read about the mod and tried it this am. I have to say that I noticed an immediate difference to the 'useability' under 4000rpm. Much smother and not nearly so 'snatchy'. If there is a small price to pay on fuel consuption - c'est la vie! banana.gif

Never found any change in the consumption - nothing negative, anyway

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#80 Peter Watts

Peter Watts

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 61 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:00 pm

QUOTE(Baron @ Wed 4th Oct 2006, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just done the air box mod on my 2004 TDM900, see http://jbx9.free.fr/...x...=AIR&lng=en

FANTASTIC!! yahoo.gif What a result tup.gif

The on/off low speed throttle response has all but gone, bottom end torque has increased and the engine is just so much more usable between 2000 and 3000 rpm. Fantastic...it feels like a new bike!!

If you've gotta 900 and haven't carried out option 1 referenced in the link above....do it....you won't be sorry laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Hi there,
I have just bought an '05 900 and would like to do this mod. I find my bike to be very snatchy at low revs, annoyingly so. Can I get an English translation of this mod? Is it easy to do? I want to take the tank off to fit a Scotoiler anyway. Many thanks Peter, Derby UK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users