#21 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 30 September 2024 - 05:47 am

I am following this with great interest as the smoothing of throttle response will greatly improve the 9er.

Me too. 

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#22 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,755 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 September 2024 - 09:27 am

I am following this with great interest as the smoothing of throttle response will greatly improve the 9er.

:good:

What I know so far is that you can go ahead and ground the neutral switch wire to cancel fuel cutting. You don't need to even disconnect the neutral switch first, as far as I can tell, if you just want to try it out temporarily to see if you feel it helps with riding smoothly

The negatives are that the neutral light will always be on, and starting the bike in gear might be possible without pulling the clutch in.(but if you know it's in neutral, it won't be an issue)

I'm just this moment looking at a bypass relay. A cheap module from ebay, with a built in timer and a relay - as long as the module gets pulses from the front sprocket sensor (or wheel speed sensor on an ABS equipped bike) it will deactivate the neutral lamp circuit, by keeping it open to extinguish the neutral lamp while the bikes moves forwards. This would need connections to at least 2 wires in the harness, as well as 12V, and GND. By adding another wire connection it could be made so that it automatically disconnects the neutral grounding wire circuit if the engine isn't running, meaning that starting up would be the same as it is now, with no risk of starting while in gear.

I might make something myself though. It would need to be 'optically isolated' for safety, this means that only a miniscule amount of current is taken from the host circuit in order to read the sensor, without any risk of shorting it out while riding .

When I come up with a fix which is a bit more elegant than a piece of black tape over the neutral indication lamp I'll post a message about it here. But for now I'm going to live with a simple switch while I have a think about

Edited by fixitsan, 30 September 2024 - 09:30 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#23 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,755 posts

Posted 30 September 2024 - 09:38 am

I've just ordered one of these. It has the time delay, the 5V pulse input, and optical isolation all together on one PCB.

If it works it's a cheap fix !

https://www.ebay.co....emis&media=COPY

#24 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,755 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 04:20 pm

I got another 70 miles of play over the weekend, and I'm convinced that riding is much smoother and easier with the neutral switch grounded.

I haven't got much further with making something to automate it, but a simple switch works fine for now

#25 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:10 am

I messed about with overrun fuel cut on my 900 with the standalone ecu.  I found that adding fuel on the overrun at high rpm made no discernible difference, but lower that 3500rpm and pushing a small amount of fuel into the bores made a big difference to how the bike behaved from a closed throttle. It ended up feeling like a really nice carb setup once I had it dialled in. 

this is next level though ^^  :shocked:

#26 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,755 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:06 pm

I messed about with overrun fuel cut on my 900 with the standalone ecu.  I found that adding fuel on the overrun at high rpm made no discernible difference, but lower that 3500rpm and pushing a small amount of fuel into the bores made a big difference to how the bike behaved from a closed throttle. It ended up feeling like a really nice carb setup once I had it dialled in. 

this is next level though ^^  :shocked:

Oh no not now it isn't !

It's a just a switch to ground the neutral switch out at the moment. Works a treat

But what I've ordered to play about with is a small accelerometer, so that it will detect braking and just act when decelerating. And as soon as the bike comes to a stop the neutral switch and neutral light will behave as normal

But I don't know how to turn off the neutral light on the dash when it activates _without cutting the harness_.

I might just install a bit of tinted film over the neutral light so it can still be seen if you look at it, but it just won't be as bright as normal.

#27 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,399 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted Yesterday, 03:55 pm

Just had a quick glance at a 900 wiring diagram and it looks like the offending link to remove may be shown here between starting cut off relay and ecu, try it with the black/yellow wire removed from ecu connector plug and insert a new grounded terminal so ecu thinks it's in neutral but neutral light still works as normal, will likely mean side stand switch won't operate anymore and you can start in gear with stand down but we all survived for years without that function I'm sure.

Attached File  LOOM.jpg   171.54KB   1 downloads

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#28 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,755 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:39 pm

Just had a quick glance at a 900 wiring diagram and it looks like the offending link to remove may be shown here between starting cut off relay and ecu, try it with the black/yellow wire removed from ecu connector plug and insert a new grounded terminal so ecu thinks it's in neutral but neutral light still works as normal, will likely mean side stand switch won't operate anymore and you can start in gear with stand down but we all survived for years without that function I'm sure.

attachicon.gif LOOM.jpg

Thanks for clarifying. I only gave it a brief look and thought the wire from the ECU went to the L/Y wire, spent a few hours scratching my head, then a closer look with the correct glasses showed there is no dot on the crossover of those wires !

I'll just go give that a try...

#29 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,484 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:48 pm

attachicon.gif LOOM.jpg

That's the early 2002 model same as mine and is exactly what I was thinking.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#30 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,755 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:57 pm

attachicon.gif LOOM.jpg

T H A T   W O R K S   :rotflmmfao: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good:

I cut the black/yellow wire about 2 inches from the ECU plug, grounded the ECU side and there's now no fuel cut. If left ungrounded then fuel cut happens .

A N D

You can't start it in gear. the stand-down function works exactly the same too.

A N D

The neutral light works as normal

A perfect solution !

Many Thanks Snowbird !

Edited by fixitsan, Yesterday, 05:58 pm.

#31 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,755 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:59 pm

This is the Black/Yellow wire...

Attached File  20241016_190808.jpg   98.1KB   0 downloads

I made up this wire...

Attached File  20241016_192115.jpg   164.39KB   0 downloads

Attached a terminal at the ECU side...

Attached File  20241016_193019.jpg   110.94KB   0 downloads

Cleaned the front screw of the left ignition coil, sprayed with terminal cleaner/lube and added a star washer

Attached File  20241016_193009.jpg   114.2KB   0 downloads

The wire in position, terminals sprayed with chain wax to keep the water out...

Attached File  20241016_193205.jpg   136.79KB   0 downloads

There is also at least one ground wire at the same ECU plug as the black/yellow wire, which would work just as well

Edited by fixitsan, Yesterday, 07:00 pm.

#32 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,755 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:33 pm

Adding a switch would be relatively easy

Attached File  switch.jpg   24.15KB   0 downloads

#33 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,399 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted Today, 06:57 am

Nice one! :good: :good: Not bad for 10 minutes with a wiring diagram, although without the knowledge of the neutral behaviour there would be no reason to go down that route.

I assume the ecu connector is not a proprietary plug you could get along with a socket to make an inline plug-in version.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#34 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,755 posts

Posted Today, 08:29 am

Nice one! :good: :good: Not bad for 10 minutes with a wiring diagram, although without the knowledge of the neutral behaviour there would be no reason to go down that route.

I assume the ecu connector is not a proprietary plug you could get along with a socket to make an inline plug-in version.

I think it's a special fit plug,  I did think that maybe I should  make a black epoxy filled box, call it a 'special' name, make miraculous claims about it, and sell it at a premium, for what consists of only a Scotchlok splice in a box ;)

I've consoled myself already with a couple of beers over losing a few hours on coding, when all along the K.I.S.S. principle won the day. Like you say it did lead to some useful info in the end though

I wonder about other bikes from the same period, I know this family of ECU was fitted to a lot of other bikes, including a few Suzuki's. Obviously the ECUs are built to a performance spec with behaviours that need to sense certain situations like 'is the bike in neutral'.

Anyway, the sun is out, and I don't start work until 4.30pm, I'll try to fit a ride in today just to confirm there's no fuel cutting. The only testing I've made so far was on my old '04 900 on it's centre stand in the garage.

Edited by fixitsan, Today, 08:31 am.

#35 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,755 posts

Posted Today, 10:39 am

Satisfactory road test !

I headed out for an hour towards West Linton - Dolphinton where I knew the back roads would be damp, have a few wet leaves and mud on them.

I wasn't disappointed

Attached File  20241017_112105.jpg   384.14KB   0 downloads

Riding through bends, normally a lift on the throttle might feel like the back end could break away due to the harsh fuel cut, but now it feels very manageable, you're able to lift off the throttle mid corner and ride smoothly along

I think pillion passengers will also feel the benefit because the transitions between  on-off throttle are so much smoother that they're less likely to headbutt the back of your helmet !.

#36 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,823 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted Today, 10:44 am

Top Job Chris and Snowbird.

Am I right in thinking there's a torque restriction on niners in 1st or 1st and 2nd gears? If so, does it also have any affect on that?

Edited by trevini, Today, 10:44 am.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Roadsmart 4s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#37 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,755 posts

Posted Today, 11:04 am

Top Job Chris and Snowbird.

Am I right in thinking there's a torque restriction on niners in 1st or 1st and 2nd gears? If so, does it also have any affect on that?

Trev I'm not sure about it really.

I know the 850 had I think 2nd/3rd restriction, based on the gear position switch, but it could only have possibly affected the ignition timing as the carbs are independent.

The Samios remap I got for my first niner claimed to remove any torque limiting in lower gears. I know it exists on a lot of bikes to keep the bikes safer for riders with low levels of experience. What I don't know is how or if it is implemented, but I would be guessing to say grounding this wire removes it.

The Samios remap also defeated fuel cutting, and thats when I learned how much nicer it made the bike to ride, so that's why I came to look really closely into it

So the suggestion of a torque limiter comes from Samios, plus what we know about some other bikes. Only a rolling road test, or maybe a measured 0-60, or 'roll on' type speed test would confirm it

My bike has a Power Commander 3  (and +4 deg ignition advance) so it's already getting a bit extra assistance. I think it's perkier after this wire mod, but that's subjective based on the fact I don't feel I'm using as much throttle as before to have the same amount of fun, and also the roads were wet so I wasn't giving it full beans all the time.

The only downside I can think of is that extra fuel is being burnt. It may cost 0.05p per mile more now, but it depends how much time you spend slowing down.

Another thing I discovered while testing in the garage is that fuel cut is inhibited when the engine is cold and doesn't come into effect until the temperature gauge needle is about 5mm off the bottom position.During this time the idle is a little bit higher than normal too because of the cold start device on the engine, but if you've ever felt that the bike seems a bit smoother when slowing down with a cold engine, then that's what it feels like to me all the time now.

Coming back home I got into a bit of slower traffic, and it also helped me there by making it easier to modulate my speed in small amounts and creep along with the traffic.

Edited by fixitsan, Today, 11:08 am.

#38 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,823 posts

Posted Today, 11:38 am

All interesting stuff. It may not have a negative affect on the economy. Mine was feeling ever so slightly flat off idle on very light throttle openings, so I bumped up the co on the dash by 1 on either cylinder. Flat spot gone and economy has improved by about 3 mpg. Go figure! Fyi, it's never really been changed in the last 10-12 years or so as it's never caused any concern at all and has been running nicely ever since I bought it in 2005. It's very consistently giving 63-68 mpg with an all time low of 55 and a best of 70 in the last two years. My normal riding I would describe as brisk and usually run it in the 4-6k rpm band, so very much where the torque is.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Roadsmart 4s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

#39 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,755 posts

Posted Today, 12:20 pm

All interesting stuff. It may not have a negative affect on the economy. Mine was feeling ever so slightly flat off idle on very light throttle openings, so I bumped up the co on the dash by 1 on either cylinder. Flat spot gone and economy has improved by about 3 mpg. Go figure! Fyi, it's never really been changed in the last 10-12 years or so as it's never caused any concern at all and has been running nicely ever since I bought it in 2005. It's very consistently giving 63-68 mpg with an all time low of 55 and a best of 70 in the last two years. My normal riding I would describe as brisk and usually run it in the 4-6k rpm band, so very much where the torque is.

That's good, I need to play about with the CO on this latest bike because it does bog a little coming off idle, now and then, it could be the PC3 map, but it's easy to add a few more revs. :)

I think in general if you're at peak torque rpm then you're at the most efficient speed, making the most cylinder pressure for the least amount of fuel possible. (give or take a bit)

#40 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,823 posts

Posted Today, 12:24 pm

That was my thinking.

LCErj.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

trevini(thanks)