• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 02 July 2024 - 01:38 pm

Glynn Kerr, if memory serves.

Summit like that.

Glynn Kerr, it was.  

If error codes excited me, I would buy a KTM. 

1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#22 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,815 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 02 July 2024 - 05:45 pm

Glynn Kerr, it was.  

If error codes excited me, I would buy a KTM. 

A friend of mine has an 2022 890 Adventure. Cracking bike, but he’s a little concerned about the engine noise that’s developed at 30k miles and is thinking of getting rid before it gets worse.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Roadsmart 4s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#23 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,480 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 03 July 2024 - 05:48 am

A friend of mine has an 2022 890 Adventure. Cracking bike, but he’s a little concerned about the engine noise that’s developed at 30k miles and is thinking of getting rid before it gets worse.

If that's the engine I'm thinking of they're known for cam probs.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#24 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,815 posts

Posted 03 July 2024 - 07:30 am

They are, so hence contemplating the change, plus it's just out of warranty now. I told him to get a nicer lol

Edited by trevini, 03 July 2024 - 07:31 am.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Roadsmart 4s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

#25 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,480 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 03 July 2024 - 02:58 pm

They are, so hence contemplating the change, plus it's just out of warranty now. I told him to get a nicer lol

:lol:  :good:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#26 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,728 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 11 July 2024 - 10:10 pm

It was on the list, removed it purely from the looks. I yet have to see a KTM that don't make me think "THAT is one ugly bike". But maybe I should try it  :unsure2: - paint those orange wheels, delete the beak, new headlights - it could be a looker...

You don't look at the mantlepiece when you're poking the fire...

I'm tempted by the 950 for it's looks and because it runs on carbs, but could be swayed to the 990 as it's ECU is  completely reprogramable, using readily available software, which KTM has banned everyone from using, but which they use still anyway :)

990 SMT makes sense as a replacement

Edited by fixitsan, 11 July 2024 - 10:11 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#27 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,059 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 12 July 2024 - 01:14 am

The KTM engine / cam wear issue is apparently, allegedly, postulated, as being due to the surfaces having a "special" coating rather than being hardened. I believe Enfield have had similar issues. The application and quality control of alleged coating seems to be a bit of a mare.

I wonder if Boeing use it..

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#28 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,834 posts

Posted 12 July 2024 - 06:53 am

I have read a few things about reliability of KTM engines after relisting the 890SMT - a bit worrying 😐
Bjørge

#29 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,834 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 07:02 pm

Anyone any experience with the Triumph Tiger Sport 1050?
Bjørge

#30 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,728 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 13 July 2024 - 07:15 pm

I have read a few things about reliability of KTM engines after relisting the 890SMT - a bit worrying

The older 990, not this new fancy one, is said to be better. I have a colleague from South Africa, who brought his 990 with him a couple of years ago. Every year he does a thorough check, more thorough than most would probably do on their TDM900, just as a precaution. But he and other old 990 owners are pretty happy with them.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#31 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,834 posts

Posted 18 August 2024 - 06:49 am

On my way to test ride, and hopefylly buy, a '21 Tracer 9GT. My buddy suddenly bought a Tracer 7 after having ridden mine the other day, and I got inspired to just do it😎. Exciting day!😃
Bjørge

#32 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,834 posts

Posted 18 August 2024 - 07:40 pm

Sadly, no buy😐
The thing that put me off was that buzzing, revhappy engine needing 6krpm to feel strong. A hilarious power when revved, but kinda stressful compared to my Tracer 7.
I haven't shut the door completely on thr Tracer 9GT, as it has other good features:
- outstanding suspension
- slick gearbox
- good seat / seating position (for me 😃)
- excellent curve handling. I was hit by heavy rain in the test ride, have never felt more secure in the wet

Next weekend my friend & me drive the same roads and I will get compared input on differnce in engine/handling on these roads - the pinnacle of mc terrain in southern Norway - points to another decision...

If not, Im on a new quest😎
...and, I think I'll appreciate the tiny 700 engine more tomorrow than my last trip on friday. It's really good albeit lacking some hooligan top end

Edited by Bjørge, 18 August 2024 - 07:41 pm.

Bjørge

#33 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,834 posts

Posted 20 August 2024 - 02:31 pm

Changed my mind today, off to pick up Tracer 9GT tomorrow. Giving buzz/higher revs a chance😎
Bjørge

#34 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,529 posts

Posted 20 August 2024 - 06:08 pm

Have always fancied one. Hope it goes to plan. Maybe that is the end of this thread, except to tell us what you think of it. 

1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#35 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,834 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 06:17 am

Have always fancied one. Hope it goes to plan. Maybe that is the end of this thread, except to tell us what you think of it. 

Here it goes:

Took it home, a -250km ride in nice weather. On my favourite backroads😎.

I'm happy with it! Most of all: Handling.
I remember hiring a VFR800 in 2001, feeling safe on a bike for the first time. Got the same confidence yesterday, immediately. Not to say that the TDMs couldn't make me feel safe, not at all! But they both had that tiny issue of balance that I never really coped with.

Suspension: Good, on par overall with my old Mk1 with Nitron and RaceTech valves. Different feeling, but good. The stiff and plush modes actually work, but you need to stop to swap modes. Really good on speed bumps, much like a French car.

Engine: Going easy you may cruise from 65kph in 6th and it just pulls nicely. Drop it one or two gear to pass, no prob. Drop it four gears and it goes crazy! I actually didn't dare to give it the beans😱. From this you can tell I've got no experience with fast bikes. Fun😎

Quick shifter: Works good on getting up to high speed, downshifts clunky.

What surprised me the most was the windscreen, it's nearly perfect! I'll experiment with a ~10cm extension, as tucking my head slightly left me in a dead quiet zone. On the TDMs and Tracer7 I would need to lean down and forwards to
Hit this qiet zone. I'm happy😎

The dual dash has been critizised, but I find it ok. A nice liter-counter, seller claims it's pretty accurate. If so, it's better than any other fuel gauge I've seen. He claims never to have reset the avg consumption counter, and it shows 3.9L/100km (72MPG). If counter is accurste, I got nearly 70MPG yesterday. Some tail wind may have come into play.

The negatives: Ignition key buried in a tiny cave - utterly impractical. Flimsy switches, turn indicator switch hard to get to. Clutch cover in the way when paddeling bike. Ratteling clutch. Ride-by-wire suddenly giving a slight throttle when braking on gears and reaching ~2krpms, took me by surprise entering roundabouts in 3rd. A slight "fishtail" movement that I have heard of in 1 review. This guy said it disappeared with a different tyre, we'll see (I need a new rear). Unpleasant, but not scary in any way.

Phew! That was about it😃
Bjørge

#36 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,529 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 09:51 am

Sounds good to me. Enjoy.

#37 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,815 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 09:55 am

How does it compare to a 900 for “grunt” in the 3500-5000 rev range?

LCErj.jpg

#38 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,834 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 12:11 pm

How does it compare to a 900 for “grunt” in the 3500-5000 rev range?

I'm not sure, to be honest.

The Tracer 7 isn't far off from the 9er TDM in engine character, most noticeably difference is smoother low-rev power. No extensive vibrations when at too low rpms.

Going on a weekend trip with my mate on his new Tracer7 tomorrow I thought I'd suggest some side by side roll-on tests from low rpms. 

Bjørge

#39 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,834 posts

Posted 25 August 2024 - 03:52 pm

Weekend trip over😎.
I'd say the Tracer 9 is on par with the 9er from 3,5krpm. It runs smoothly (but not powerful) from 2k.

I'm extremely happy with my new bike😃
Bjørge

#40 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,815 posts

Posted 25 August 2024 - 06:55 pm

Thanks for the update. Enjoy the new bike.

LCErj.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users