leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,135 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 09 February 2023 - 09:09 am

+ 1 for the 900, easy to look after, known to last 100,000 miles

Edited by leehenty, 15 February 2023 - 05:00 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#22 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,059 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 09 February 2023 - 08:06 pm

As an owner of mk2a with blue spots & 900 with abs
I'm quite happy to slam on the brakes of the 850 lock up the back etc
But on the 900 it scares the s@#% out of Me don't feel in control at All when heavy braking
Handling - 900 is quicker and lighter steering nice light clutch etc good for commuting

850 (70k on clock 50 of that mine ) steering heavy ,clutch Heavy, drinks Oil, Headlight like a candle
Rust etc - But so much fun to ride just bought a new battery for it so hopefully get it up & running (Sat under a cover at work since Xmas )
Great fun on twisties bangining between 3rd & 4th
If I had to choose it would be the 850 Just needs a few xtra hp for motorways

Andy

That's an interesting point. When I do brake practice I can hit the picks on the 850 hard enough to chirp the front tyre to a stop, wet or dry. Always feels rock solid.

Similar on gravel, the front is stable braking into a corner. A few ADV bikes have caught me out with the front locking up, ABS kicking in or sliding in situations where the TDM would be on rails.

Must be voodoo or the 850 has more forward weight bias.

Edited by harvey krumpet, 09 February 2023 - 08:08 pm.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#23 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 11 February 2023 - 07:51 pm

Never experienced ABS on a 9er as none of the 3 I've had had it. Didn't want it at the time but since having a XT1200 and now a Tracer I would't want to go without after being assisted stopping safely on both bikes. Still got a TDM without but feel that little bit safer on the Tracer.

I liked the engine on my 3vd but it felt heavy. The 900 is my choice but many say the mk2 is the best handling.

How do you find the Tracer 900 compared to the TDM 900?

#24 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,727 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 12 February 2023 - 10:01 am

Crappy is overstatement. Early is true, but not horrendous, it is something you get used to and 9er abs is certainly a benefit regarding stopping distance compared to non abs 9er...this I know 2B true on p*ss wet cloggie roads, as does Splodge on his non abs 9er ;)

Let the ABS vs NON ABS usual bunfight begin.... :) :)

Errrr....Brakes ?  What dem ?

On the other hand changing the spark plugs on a Mk1 takes about 2 minutes whereas on the 900 you have you have to drop the radiator forwards.

Only a minor hassle, it's just a couple of bolts and the radiator isn't disconnected, draining and coolant.

It only turns a 2 minute job into a 4 minute one

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#25 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,727 posts

Posted 12 February 2023 - 10:13 am

My last bike was an FJ1200 and I missed having the extra 6th gear on that bike.

Mick

My last bike before the 900, was an FJ1100, which was written off.

To keep me going until I decided what bike I wanted next (120HP required etc)), I stumbled on a secondhand 900, for £900, with 92k on the clock

I still have it and haven't replaced it, now at 112k miles.

120HP is fine, but not really required most days, 240kg was getting a bit heavy to lug around and the transition to the 900 highlighted that a lighter bike handles better (But not a defacto rule!)

It's now difficult to justify going up to something more powerful, for the roads I usually ride on. I ride with guys on sports bikes too, but they don't really leave me behind on the winding highlands roads I prefer, and sometimes they struggle to pass.

Fit excellent tyres (as usual), make sure the suspension is suited to your bodyweight, and fit a 17" front wheel if you want to hustle a bit.

#26 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,479 posts

Posted 13 February 2023 - 07:33 am

How do you find the Tracer 900 compared to the TDM 900?

I was 6ft 1" at best heading down now so the TDM is the more comfy/roomy bike.
For me the tracer wins on a smoother engine with better injection, (still not prefect), ABS and cruise control. Front ends more planted too.

I traded my xt1200 as I wanted something lighter, seemed the best available at the time and prob still was.

Edit, should of mentioned the headlight on the Tracer too.

Edited by Catteeclan, 13 February 2023 - 01:12 pm.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#27 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 February 2023 - 08:36 pm

Thanks for the info. Does it feel more pokey? My 900 has been great, but I've had it for many years and fancy a change. It'd be nice to have a bike with a bit more get up and go (and a 17" front wheel).

Cheers,

#28 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,479 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 06:43 am

Thanks for the info. Does it feel more pokey? My 900 has been great, but I've had it for many years and fancy a change. It'd be nice to have a bike with a bit more get up and go (and a 17" front wheel).

Cheers,

Yes it does feel more pokey. It's got engine modes which I tend to leave alone but the sporty mode def is fun.
A mate had the MT09 and called the sports mode asbo.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#29 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 08:08 pm

Thanks for your reply. Think I'll have to find myself a tracer. 😀

#30 Mickster

Mickster

arrived on last train

• 4 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 14 February 2023 - 10:15 pm

Again guys .. thanks for the info.
Will keep monitoring this topic.

#31 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,727 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 03:29 pm

Thanks for your reply. Think I'll have to find myself a tracer.

They're actually quite reasonably priced at the moment, and I've been tempted, but, I keep looking at those damned KTM 950's too :yeyeye:

#32 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 06:40 pm

I have to admit, while wanting a different bike, I wonder if whatever I get is as easy to use and reliable as a TDM. I've no experience with 850s, but the 900 just won't quit. By far the most resilient bike I've owned. It's got 75k on it now and the MOT guy always comments on how well everything works. Maintain them and I can totally believe they'd do well over 100k with no major problems.

#33 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,763 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 17 February 2023 - 12:35 pm

Yes it does feel more pokey. It's got engine modes which I tend to leave alone but the sporty mode def is fun.
A mate had the MT09 and called the sports mode asbo.

i had a go on my mates MT09 in sport mode.
would soon lose my license, it doesn't feel fast either till you look down at the speedo 

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#34 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 17 February 2023 - 12:44 pm

Mk1 3vd Once you replace the wiring loom, ignition, rebuild carb and top of engine and fit braded brake hoses or that could just be my heap. :huh: :rotflmmfao:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: comparison, 900, 850

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users