- - - - -

Frank Thomas, *waterproofs*

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Catteeclan_*

Guest_Catteeclan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:41 am

I've got some FT aqua Leggings, yeap they leaked from the first water that hit them. FT jacket, takes a while before the water get s through but gets through it does.
I went to get a all in one and the only size they had in the shop was a xxxl. Covers me with my Ft stuff and a back pack and possible passenger.

As I've lost the thermal inners for the leggings recommendations for some replacements would be welcome. Not FT plkease. laugh.gif
Have to be long to as I'm a bit on the lanky side.
Hate it when you sit on the bike and the bottoms ride up to the middle of your carfs.

#22 SteveGlover

SteveGlover

850 going for 900

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:59 am

Same thing here, FT Aqua-something jacket leaks at the front, FT jeans leak at the groin. You'd think that a British manufacturer (ok, so they are probably made in Asia) woud understand something about rain.

#23 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:27 am

I tell ya - nothing in 30 odd years of biking has come near thos flexothane jobbies. they scrunch up pretty small, have a kinda fabric inside so they slip over leathers easily AND DON'T LEAK.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#24 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:11 pm

QUOTE(Catteeclan @ Sat 19th Jan 2008, 04:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As I've lost the thermal inners for the leggings recommendations for some replacements would be welcome.

I have a pair of skiier's over-pants... just pants, not the 'jumpsuit'.
Good over jeans in the cold but not waterproof.... may do the trick as liners.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#25 welshwizard

welshwizard

arrived on last train

• 7 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:01 pm

I've had similar problems with FT "aquapak" - useless. Just tried 'Held' waterproof leggings after a Ride recommendation; OK in showers but in a downpour last week I had the icy cold fingers around the jewels in less than 2 minutes! Have gone back to my trusted old Baleno [ flexithane] overtrousers which have never let me down but are a bit short in the leg. They don't seem to make 'bike gear any more but a google shows them producing similar stuff for fishing - and it's reasonably priced.

#26 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:49 pm

Update. Dark, grey, dank, horrible day. Peeing down again. I'm in a mood to match the day, perfect for bringing back the FT's. Very pleasantly surprised to get no grief at all.
"What would you like sir?" ,"a replacement or a refund?".
So refunded VISA, and they have a happy customer who will deal with them again.

Congrats to Honda center, Sundrive Road, Dublin

#27 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:13 pm

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Fri 18th Jan 2008, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Got a link for these? (Any US distributors you know of?) TY.

Gone up in price but here's the linky:

http://www.mandp.co....x?catRef=215561

Edited by CatsBum, 19 January 2008 - 06:15 pm.

#28 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:26 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Sat 19th Jan 2008, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you kind sir. smile.gif
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#29 Guest_Pantboy_*

Guest_Pantboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:41 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Sat 19th Jan 2008, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

whats the sizing like on these trousers catsbum, did you buy the size you normally wear or did you have to go up or down a size??

#30 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:58 pm

I bought a pair of FT winter gloves with a very clever double cuff for £80 cos I was told that their stuff was exellent, they leaked the day I got them, the shop replaced them, the new ones leaked too, the shop gave me my money back.
I will never buy another FT product EVER.
I have used Hein Gericke trousers and jacket for 3 years now and never had a single leak or ever got cold( and I ride every day 27000mls a year) and their boots have not let me down either.I currently have a pair of Buffalo winter gloves, not the warmest I think but definatly the driest and have lasted 3 yrs so far.

CB

#31 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:19 pm

I just remembered buying a pair of Buffalo (?) trousers from M+P last year or so. £30. I only wore them once, cos they were so very sweaty. Must try them in the rain to see are they actually waterproof. Wonder if I can find them again?

#32 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:32 pm

QUOTE(Pantboy @ Sat 19th Jan 2008, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
whats the sizing like on these trousers catsbum, did you buy the size you normally wear or did you have to go up or down a size??

Well, this is what I wrote in the 'Bloody M&P' Post

----------------
" I'm with jht on this. BikeB are more pricey but at least I can ride there in 10mins and see what I'm about to buy.

Ordered some Buffalo pants from M&P this year. Told them over the phone my waist size 38, as the pants come in s/m/l/xl/xxl/xxxl "you'll be needing large then" he said. Sure? "Yes". OK then.

Sent me large
Sent em back, too small
Sent me Xl
Sent em back too small
Sent me XXl
Sent em back too small
Sent me XXXl
They fit

This took weeks. Weeks of me wanting to have some knee protection."
--------------------

Have to say that I have them, like em a lot

#33 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:36 am

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Sat 19th Jan 2008, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sent me large
Sent em back, too small
Sent me Xl
Sent em back too small
Sent me XXl
Sent em back too small
Sent me XXXl
They fit

Does this mean you became a fat bassed overnight!!! tongue.gif rolleyes.gif

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#34 Guest_Matt_G_*

Guest_Matt_G_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2008 - 12:39 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Sat 19th Jan 2008, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, this is what I wrote in the 'Bloody M&P' Post

----------------
" I'm with jht on this. BikeB are more pricey but at least I can ride there in 10mins and see what I'm about to buy.

Ordered some Buffalo pants from M&P this year. Told them over the phone my waist size 38, as the pants come in s/m/l/xl/xxl/xxxl "you'll be needing large then" he said. Sure? "Yes". OK then.

Sent me large
Sent em back, too small
Sent me Xl
Sent em back too small
Sent me XXl
Sent em back too small
Sent me XXXl
They fit

--------------------

Have to say that I have them, like em a lot

I've got a pair of these in XXL super fat but they drive me mad! I'm 6'2" and they are too short. Seem OK when I first put them on but as soon as I straddle the steed the knee armour is half way up my thigh and I've got 3 inches of leg showing!! The jacket that I got with them is great though, I use it all winter!

#35 Cavey

Cavey

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:24 pm

QUOTE(Matt_G @ Sun 20th Jan 2008, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've got a pair of these in XXL super fat but they drive me mad! I'm 6'2" and they are too short. Seem OK when I first put them on but as soon as I straddle the steed the knee armour is half way up my thigh and I've got 3 inches of leg showing!! The jacket that I got with them is great though, I use it all winter!

This is a problem I find. I'm 6'3" but not a bloater and I want long, not fat. When you buy XXXXXL you just get fat but average height. There's not many that do this sort of thing in long. Saying that, I've got a Sidi, all-in-one that I chance bought off EBay and it fits like a glove & doesn't leak tongue.gif (it's a bugger to get on though)

Edited by Cavey, 20 January 2008 - 01:25 pm.

It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

#36 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:21 pm

had a pair of them flexothane salopettes back in 93' and they never leaked despite 18 months of courier abuse, they were the lined type aswell. sweat loike a rapist in em' though.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#37 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:41 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Sun 20th Jan 2008, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
had a pair of them flexothane salopettes back in 93' and they never leaked despite 18 months of courier abuse, they were the lined type aswell. sweat loike a rapist in em' though.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#38 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:13 pm

I use cheap AKITO Python trousers. betty swallocks in summer but 100% waterproof & warm in winter. Just a pity the zips and velcro on them are crap. So when i need a good pair i'm considering more AKITO textile trousers since was going for the FT Titanium but keep hearing horror storys.

#39 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:18 am

i used to have FT titanium summer leathers, obviously not waterproof as they were designed for summer weather, but they did exactly what i wanted
protected me in a couple of offs and were comfortable to be worn for long periods of time good.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#40 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:30 pm

FT stuff is shit
20 years ago when I started biking it was what all the bike shops sold.
I had some boots - lasted 12mths, then another pair, and they lasted 12mths. Then got some Styl Martins and they lasted over 3years and have been using SM's ever since

The local bike shop had so many problems with FT stuff they stopped selling it in the 90's, and still won't entertain going back to it now.

WTF BKS are doing selling themselves to FT I do not know - quickest way to shag a good brand name and hard earned reputation.

On a side note, all 2 piece Goretex/Permatex type garments will appear to leak
The water wicks in at the joint in the middle, leaving you with a soggy cruch and wet gut and wet back.
They aren't actually waterproof on the outside - the water proof layer is underneath the external fabric, hence why the they get sodden. I've tried all of the wash in & spray on re-proofers and they are all shit - make no difference.

I've currently got some RSR gear (been using it every winter, every day for 7 years), but have Belstaff stuff waiting when it finally wears out
I bought the Belstaff stuff cheap when they were selling it off, when they stopped making it a couple of years ago

If you want true waterproof you need a 1 piece

Edited by GuyGraham, 23 January 2008 - 07:31 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users