312 replies to this topic

#281 richierex

richierex

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 166 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:20 pm

Just done the airbox mod, used the #1 method, pin out from ECU as it is by far the easiest to do and of course to reverse. So how is it? Well it pops a bit on the overrun now and again and seems to take a little longer to start but I will have to put a few more miles on it. no other real differences, oh and exhausts look a little more blue. So not sure if its done much, 2007 900A 

#282 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:33 pm

Just performed method C on an 11,000 mile, 2004 bike - long-nosed pliers and ball bearing took less than 2 minutes. Improvement is very good and the low speed lumpiness remaining is a feature of the 270 crank. My mk1 is smoother at low revs.
One point: JBX site mixes left and right for diagram A and its text.

A very big thank you to the originator of this information and
for keeping it available.

Edited by Hombre, 23 May 2016 - 07:22 pm.

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#283 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,255 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:06 pm

:wifgeni:  mk1 is smoother at low revs. :D

Removed the pin from the ecu on my 2002 9'er and there's a good improvement in useability under 3000rpm.  Pootling around town was lemon squeezy. :badgerrock:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#284 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:18 pm

:wifgeni:  mk1 is smoother at low revs. :D

Removed the pin from the ecu on my 2002 9'er and there's a good improvement in useability under 3000rpm.  Pootling around town was lemon squeezy. :badgerrock:

Can you tell me how to do that, in noddy language if possible. It's all getting a bit complicated.

Edited by muddy, 24 May 2016 - 01:18 pm.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#285 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,255 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 02:57 pm

Remove left side panel, all 6 bolts worth (lol) unclip the ecu wiring socket that plugs into the ecu.  Locate the No.8 wire, it's a brown wire located next to a green and yellow wire.  Gently pull at it whilst at the same time press on the thin white plastic strip and the wire will pop out.  Push the white strip on the opposite side back, plug the socket back into the ecu then fire her up to make sure it starts and runs ok.  Replace the side panel and the 6 bolts and go ferra pootle. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#286 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:17 pm

Remove left side panel, all 6 bolts worth (lol) unclip the ecu wiring socket that plugs into the ecu.  Locate the No.8 wire, it's a brown wire located next to a green and yellow wire.  Gently pull at it whilst at the same time press on the thin white plastic strip and the wire will pop out.  Push the white strip on the opposite side back, plug the socket back into the ecu then fire her up to make sure it starts and runs ok.  Replace the side panel and the 6 bolts and go ferra pootle. :)

Ta muchly:)

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#287 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,482 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:48 pm

Is that the wire to the air flap control valve?

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#288 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,255 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:06 pm

Yes it is. :)

#289 frits44

frits44

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 170 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:50 am

Good morning gentleman,

I just tested my bike with new separated air filters, I can not notice any difference with my modified cover of the air box.

It only gives you  much more sound, and that is not good. ( I borrowed these filters from a friend )

So I put my modified air box back on my bike.

I was testing things. 

http://s1175.photobu...html?sort=3&o=0

Have a nice day.

Greetings,Frits from holland

#290 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:07 pm

I have now performed all three of the modifications: blocked the vacuum take-off tube, disconnected the electrical circuit at the connector block and removed all of the airbox flap gubbins entirely.

That leaves a hole in the airbox cover;

Actuator hole

Looks unfinished and so I first made it round;

Hole opened Up

Then made a velocity stack from an old Grip Puppy and superglue;
Old Grip Puppy

Velocity stack

Superglued in place;
In position

Tidies it up and won't damage anything if it comes loose.

I doubt it alone has done anything noticeable but after all the mods the bike now pulls on a slight incline in first gear on closed throttle with no snatchiness.  Also smoother in second gear around the 1500rpm area than it was with just the blocked vacuum take-off tube.

Edited by Hombre, 14 July 2016 - 02:10 pm.

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#291 frits44

frits44

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:08 pm

Hombre good work,

You know now that the engine needs much more air

If you make the holes bigger then your engine will do 1200 rpm in second gear.

Also like fixitsan did, remove 10cm foam away on each site .

And set your Co a little higher with stock exhaust around  25 to 30.

again nice work.

Greetings, Frits from Holland

#292 frits44

frits44

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:58 am

I just measured the two little air holes on the inside of the stock cover from a stock air box.

I have spare covers and air boxes  to test things.

One little hole is 2,5 cm / 1,5 cm, and the other is 5,5 cm/ 3 cm.

I measured it on the inside of the cover.

The two inlet rubber air tubes on the throttle houses  are almost 4,5cm in diameter each

So what I am trying to say is the engine needs more air, the air inlet of the stock cover from the air box 

is much to small.

Thats why I modified my cover of the air box, to get more air.( on of effect is completely gone )

My own cover of the air box has one big air inlet 12 cm / 4,5 cm, and I removed 10 cm foam on each side of the tank.

Greetings,Frits from holland

#293 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:51 pm

Frits, I doubt the engine is starved of air at just over tickover speeds on a slight whiff of throttle. But if you believe that then I am happy for you.

#294 ProDrive

ProDrive

arrived on last train

• 3 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:52 am

Frits, I doubt the engine is starved of air at just over tickover speeds on a slight whiff of throttle. But if you believe that then I am happy for you.

Try it and you will believe it. I did all the mod. Frits44 mentioned. The engine is so much more responsive on the gas even obove 8000 Rpm.

This is how the TDM should veel like without the Euro3 norm. Much more torq on low Rpm with duo on a roundabout with 1500 Rpm is easy and no problem.

#295 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,187 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:36 pm

Well done boys, sounds like you have got them running loike a mk1 nearly. Keep goin. ;-)
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#296 richierex

richierex

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 166 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 23 July 2016 - 09:27 pm

Did this mod to my 2007 ABS by removing the wire from the multiplug. I immediately noticed it was slightly harder to start and there was a light backfire when revving up. On a test ride of around 70 miles, it was terrible, hesitating on a steady throttle and coming in with a bang on acceleration.

So I put the wire back today and what a revelation, starts at the lightest touch of the button and ran very smoothly on a 165 mile round trip.

It is therefore my opinion that this mod does not work on a 2007 ABS model. I have heard that it does not work on 2006 onward and this could well be true. Just letting you know as it seems to be a " must do " on these bikes.

#297 mradu

mradu

sticking around

• 22 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 12:33 pm

Hey guys,

This might not be the correct topic, but it's somewhat related.

A few days ago I was considering taking the plunge and doing the mod (I love my bikes stock), as I had a huge issue around 1800-2000rpm gap.

The bike would cut out, run on one cylinder, etc; it was unusable in that range.

As I noticed that my idle was also acting up a bit, i took the time to fiddle with the automatic choke (I have done it before, but this time I really insisted) until it ran perfectly.

I can tell you now that without the mod, in first gear I can ride the bike starting with 1600rpm (you fill the pulsation of the cyclinders, but other than that it runs great) and I can use the bike at 2000rpms in 3rd.

So before doing the mod, give that automatic choke a complete service until it runs perfectly smooth. It might solve your issue too.

Also, a small question. Are the bands holding the end cans stainless, or chromed steel?

Radu.

Edited by mradu, 25 November 2016 - 01:05 pm.

#298 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:34 pm

Hi, what year is your 9er. Later ones are different.

Stainless is either weakly magnetic or nonmagnetic so it is easy to check.

Edited by Hombre, 26 November 2016 - 08:35 pm.

#299 TheTallGuy

TheTallGuy

arrived on last train

• 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:11 pm

Hi,

I know this topic is as old as the hills but i can't find the files by JBX online any longer. Would i be right in thinking the later TDMs don't respond so well to the 'wire snip' [mine's one of the last, bought in 2013] if so is the blanking off of the vacuum hose any more effective or is it tough luck if you have a newer and I have to live with it or change for something else?

Many thanks guys.

Jon.

#300 RobMitchell

RobMitchell

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:09 pm

I've just done the airbox mod on my '06 tdm by removing the black/brown wire from the ecu. It's now much better at low revs. The only trouble is that it seems to have disabled the cold start mechanism. Where have I gone wrong?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users