312 replies to this topic

#261 Vivaldi

Vivaldi

seems to like Carpe

• 44 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:53 am

Hi all,

I have done airbox mode (completely removed), K&N installed, running on Leovince SBK. Low revs running  is definitely better. Done also PAIR disabling (by screw in hose just below airbox), but I haven't been noticing any change at low revs.. What's about idea of reaching fuel mixture by adding some points to existing CO mode settings ? Cause I think when doing airbox mode, fuel mixture is more lean because of delivering more air and keeping fuel dose. Fuel injection system in TDM 900 is very simple, there is no airflow sensor, only one lamba sensor. So IMO CO settings should be changed for richer fuel mixture. I made small experiment - tried to set CO mode using CO gas analyser and noticed fabric setting gave CO more than 4% - so I decreased Co to 4%. Rode 500km and the went back to fabric and rode another 500km. Fabric (richer) mixture gave more torque on low revs of course. What's about fuel consumption ? Didn't noticed any change between both settings.. Soft riding - 4,6/100km, hard and fast, touching red field - 4,9l/100km

Final question is  - how to set CO to have correct fuel mixture having airbox mode done, full open exhaust as well as K&N ? Is there any recipe ( in service manual there are just few words - set CO between 3-4%) ?

BR,

Vivaldi

#262 Vivaldi

Vivaldi

seems to like Carpe

• 44 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:48 am

Hello,

anybody know ?

#263 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:59 am

Hi all,

I have done airbox mode (completely removed), K&N installed, running on Leovince SBK. Low revs running  is definitely better. Done also PAIR disabling (by screw in hose just below airbox), but I haven't been noticing any change at low revs.. What's about idea of reaching fuel mixture by adding some points to existing CO mode settings ? Cause I think when doing airbox mode, fuel mixture is more lean because of delivering more air and keeping fuel dose. Fuel injection system in TDM 900 is very simple, there is no airflow sensor, only one lamba sensor. So IMO CO settings should be changed for richer fuel mixture. I made small experiment - tried to set CO mode using CO gas analyser and noticed fabric setting gave CO more than 4% - so I decreased Co to 4%. Rode 500km and the went back to fabric and rode another 500km. Fabric (richer) mixture gave more torque on low revs of course. What's about fuel consumption ? Didn't noticed any change between both settings.. Soft riding - 4,6/100km, hard and fast, touching red field - 4,9l/100km

Final question is  - how to set CO to have correct fuel mixture having airbox mode done, full open exhaust as well as K&N ? Is there any recipe ( in service manual there are just few words - set CO between 3-4%) ?

BR,

Vivaldi

My solution was not so technical. With my Fuel (aftermarket) exhausts, the airbox mod didn't help the poor fueling at low RPM. I put the stock (factory) exhaust pipes back on the bike and the airbox mod worked, no more stuttering. There are many, many threads on this problem if you do a search. 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#264 Vivaldi

Vivaldi

seems to like Carpe

• 44 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:15 am

yep, I saw a few topics, but I have feeling nobody solved the issue and found recipe to set CO i proper way :(

The other thing is if the both C1 & C2 settings should be more less tha same or different +- 10-16 points..

I like my TDM very much (this on is my 3rd TDM, 3vd->4tx>5PS) and I know there is more hidden power in that engine, and it's not so hard to get it back :)

BR,

Vivaldi

#265 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:03 pm

When we mapped mine it was VERY lean with the open cans, filter, PAIR disabled, no lambda and a PC3, we only mapped the overall AFR but header pipe colour shows that one cylinder was running hotter, its normal that in this config one would be hotter and need more fuel to help compensate (direction of coolant flow etc), I am told that the older model headers have a sample point in each down pipe unlike the new model TDM (2012), I wanted to test to see what effect the C1&2 trims had on AFR but sadly ran out of time and we only had a sample tube that reached into the system so far so could not answer the question.

Edited by arthurbikemad, 06 June 2014 - 07:07 pm.

2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#266 MarkyMark

MarkyMark

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 981 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:23 am

Thanx guys wub.gif

BTW all those who did this mod must send me US$10 000. angel.gifbanana.gif

have you got a fax number ?

XT1200Z - Big and bouncy

GTR1400 - Chaufer the wife.
XT660Z - Fun and commute.
TDM900 - Yellow.

#267 Vivaldi

Vivaldi

seems to like Carpe

• 44 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:06 am

I tried to find the solution over internet, and it said AFR 14,7:1 is not optimal for maximal power - 12,6-13:1 doing the job. If you would like to have great mileage  then AFR should be 15,4:1 - both values for Pb95-98.

#268 smid69

smid69

sticking around

• 26 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:59 am

airbox mod?

#269 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:00 pm

have you got a fax number ?

He doesn't want the money anymore. He is rather fond of marmite and mint sauce though, so a parcel of assorted English food stuff will cheer him up immensely :lol:

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#270 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,254 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:14 am

airbox mod?

Link is in the first post :)  http://jbx9.free.fr/...page=AIR&lng=en

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#271 jlittle

jlittle

arrived on last train

• 1 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:16 pm

Can anyone explain the mod to me, i have tried to open the JBX link but it is not working

#272 Matt51F1

Matt51F1

sticking around

• 22 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:06 am

@jlittle,

3 methods:

#1 is to remove a wire from the ECU.  I wouldn't recommend without pictures.

#2 is to remove the vacuum hose from the device on top of the airbox that closes off the main intake and blanking off the hose. This is my preference as it is the easiest option to reverse.

#3 is to put a blanking plug on the throttle body (best with pics).

Stick with option #2 as it is hard to mess up with that one.  You need to remove side panels, side covers, and tilt up the tank.  It will take longer to do all the screws than the 'fix'.

I've been meaning to do it myself for ages but never got around to it.  I went a bit further than any of the instructions and did a bigger mod and the change is fantastic.

"A failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!"

Additions: K&N Air Filter; Leo Vince slip-ons; Stebel Nautilus air horn; LED spotlights; Wiring control box for accessories & relays; Givi engine bars, rear rack & wing racks; Barkbusters.

Mods: LED headlight bulbs; 530-chain & only using Esjot sprockets; Airbox modification; Top Sellerie Seat + Tank protector; Bar-end mirrors + custom indicators.

185,000+ km (waiting for the day to crack the 200,000km)

#273 Craig

Craig

Carpe Regular

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:25 am

I've been meaning to do it myself for ages but never got around to it.  I went a bit further than any of the instructions and did a bigger mod and the change is fantastic.

I'm intrigued. Please enlighten me further with what your "Bigger mod" entailed ?
I myself did option 2 pretty soon after acquiring my 2005 & handling around town etc was vastly improved .....

#274 Matt51F1

Matt51F1

sticking around

• 22 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:34 am

@Craig:

Of all of the posts I have seen about the airbox modification, they just talked about unhooking the vacuum solenoid from the flap or the line from the pump.  I guess I worded it like that to see if anyone would bite as it probably isn't that 'new' or 'great' :)

Since we don't get incredibly cold weather here, I decided to remove the flap completely and open up the box just that little bit more while richening the mix to compensate.  Removing the vacuum solenoid from the top would have allowed water to fall into the airbox as I ride through all weather and because the bike has over 185000km on it, nobody will buy it second-hand - so I figured that I could have a play with it.

I drilled through the plastic rivets under the cover and removed the flap completely as well as the vacuum solenoid and fittings underneath the airbox that aren't needed any more.  To prevent water running into the airbox, I cut out a circle of plastic and used a product called Plastex (from the USA) to seal up the top hole and the holes where the drill came through in removing the plastic rivets.

Richen up the mix to compensate for the extra air allowed in and it makes a noticable difference :)

Additions: K&N Air Filter; Leo Vince slip-ons; Stebel Nautilus air horn; LED spotlights; Wiring control box for accessories & relays; Givi engine bars, rear rack & wing racks; Barkbusters.

Mods: LED headlight bulbs; 530-chain & only using Esjot sprockets; Airbox modification; Top Sellerie Seat + Tank protector; Bar-end mirrors + custom indicators.

#275 Wallander

Wallander

sticking around

• 32 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:33 pm

Don't forget to do the "second airbox mod": 15T front sprocket!

These 2 mods with the standard exhaust makes for a very nice behaving all-around bike.

#276 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:39 pm

These 2 mods with the standard exhaust makes for a very nice behaving all-around bike.

Really interested in the 15T front sprocket quote.... More info please ;-)

2003 TDM900 in Galaxy Blue with 32k on the clock

Scottolier, TDM Gel Saddle, Blue HEL Brake Line Upgrade Feeding Blue Spot Callipers. Air Intake Mod,

Oxford Heated Grips, Polisport Handguards, RM-G Crash bars & Centre Stand, Givi
Touring & Double Bubble Screens, Bar Risers, Renthal 755 Riser Bars,
Givi E22N Panniers & Top Box, Clear Indicator Lens Conversation, Clear LED Rear Light Conversion, Mirror Extenders, TDM Stainless Radiator Cover and Stainless Screen Screws, SP Performance Carbon Tri-Oval Cans,
HID Headlight Upgrade, DRL Spotlights and Still Spending But Dont Tell The Wife!!

#277 Wallander

Wallander

sticking around

• 32 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:47 pm

Really interested in the 15T front sprocket quote.... More info please ;-)

It's just changing the front sprocket from the OEM 16T size to the one tooth smaller 15T. It makes the bike rev a bit more at the same speed, accelerates better, but most importantly lugs better. If your main driving area is not the German autobahns, I would recommend to do it!

#278 Splodge

Splodge

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 63 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:29 am

When I did the mod I unplugged the (now redundant) gubbins under the airbox but had the yellow engine warning light glaring at me permanently. Reconnecting solved that little problem. Just so ya know, ya know!

My mums monkey makes many mistakes.

#279 Matt51F1

Matt51F1

sticking around

• 22 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:49 am

@Wallander,

Sorry to contradict you (and I'm not doing this to be an arse or anything :) ) but I have found that sprocket selection for a rider comes down to trial & error.

For me, with the last three chains and sprockets (I get about 40,000km out of a set), I have used Esjot sprockets as they give fantastic longevity and the chain does not stretch or wear out anywhere near as quickly as when using the generic sprockets you get from the shops.  The Esjot ones *are* double the cost of the cheapies but you feel it in the ride and I need to adjust the chain maybe a quarter as much as with cheap sprockets.  I also converted it to 530 setup as well.

The problem is that Esjot doesn't make a 42-tooth rear (OK - maybe they do make but it isn't available in Australia) sprocket in 530 to suit the 2002+ TDM.  I ran one period with a 16-41 which was great on the highway and crap in the city.  I was running out of tyre edge with the 160 rear tyre and going to the correct size for that rim (170) makes the bike handle *that* much better with the 5% chicken strips for when you need it.

I then went to the 43 rear and the bike seemed to be over-revving.

Yes, yes... I hear people say that one tooth doesn't make a difference.  It does if you know the bike - it really does.

So, after the 16-43, I thought I would try to get closer to factory by using a 15-39 setup.  It was closer and better but the problem is that the smaller the front sprocket, the quicker you wear out the chain.

I should note that all of these combinations were before doing the airbox mod.

Then I opened the airbox right up (see previous post) and put on a 17-45 combination. This puts the mix right in the middle of stock and the 16-43 combination - and it is absolutely spot-on for the way I ride.

I've just put on a Top Sellerie Type-1 seat and it was bloody beautiful in the twisties on the weekend and the bike kept wanting to run away over 5,000rpm in top.  The trouble is that the roads are all 100kph and the flash-for-cash can be anywhere. I was also running low on fuel with 75km to the nearest servo and down to 2 bars - so I had to slow down :/

Just changing the front sprocket to 15t will reduce your known speed indication by nearly 7%  That's a big difference.  If you plan on doing that, get a Speedo Healer.

#280 Wallander

Wallander

sticking around

• 32 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:32 pm

Matt51F1, no problems at all contradicting me :) You are right, one should try the lower gearing, but to be honest, I haven't heard anyone complaining about it.

It's the same here, not many chances to try top speed in 6th, so you don't have too much to loose with a lower gearing.

I use a 15T JT sprocket, only 20k kms on it, but it still looks like new.

Nice mileage on your bike! Apart from setting valve clearances, any issues with the bike? Mike has 50k kms, so it's just run in...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users