900 Air Box Mod....fantastic!

• Please log in to reply
312 replies to this topic

#221 Baron

Baron

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Location:Drum Castle (well, next door), Kincardineshire.....well, I am a Baron!
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:54 pm

Balance the throttle bodies as this is a known cause of low speed throttle control problems. Also you may want to unplug your O2 sensor as this also helps a little.
Gone but not forgotten: 2007 TDM900ABS Competition White, datatagged, fenda extenda, tomtom rider 1, Yamaha main stand, Yamaha heated grips, HID headlights, Yamaha top box & city side cases, MRA Vario screen, CLS200 automatic chain oiler, Yamaha belly pan, DL650 handguards, Gi-Pro X gear indicator, SW-Motech Mirror Extensions, LED side light, Stebel Nautilus AIR HORN!!!!!

(1974....KTM Comet Cross, RD250B, XS750, Wife & kids, DT175, Suzuki GT500, XT500, XT500 (modified), ZX-10 (the 1st one!), Yamaha TT600R, Suzuki GT750B, GT750K, '04 TDM900, GSX1100F, '07 TDM900A, '06 FJR1300A

#222 steves100uk

steves100uk

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 198 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:55 pm

QUOTE(sarcoid @ Thu 14th Jul 2011, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
many thanks for the words of encouragement I'm at the stage that other riders think i'm an amatuer!

I know the feeling.
Steve

#223 Dave277

Dave277

really likes Carpe

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 92 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:44 pm

QUOTE(Baron @ Thu 14th Jul 2011, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Balance the throttle bodies as this is a known cause of low speed throttle control problems. Also you may want to unplug your O2 sensor as this also helps a little.

Might try unplugging the O2 sensor and see if any difference doubtfull.gif My bike was serviced before I picked it up so the throttle bodies on mine should be ok excl.gif
2014 12 24 11.10.10

#224 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• 2,391 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:00 am

QUOTE(Dave277 @ Fri 15th Jul 2011, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My bike was serviced before I picked it up so the throttle bodies on mine should be ok excl.gif

Don't you believe it Dave. I had my fazer dealer serviced and when a mate checked mine they
were WAY out!!

Better to double check

Matt

#225 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• 2,391 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:00 am

QUOTE(Dave277 @ Fri 15th Jul 2011, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My bike was serviced before I picked it up so the throttle bodies on mine should be ok excl.gif

Don't you believe it Dave. I had my fazer dealer serviced and when a mate checked mine they
were WAY out!!

Better to double check

Matt

#226 sarcoid

sarcoid

sticking around

• 32 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:17 am

QUOTE(not2fast @ Thu 14th Jul 2011, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did the airbox mod some weeks ago and whilst not night and day better, it was better. Soon after I added a K&N and a new set of cans and it worsened somewhat again. I'm living with it and and have sorta learned how to dial it out and keep it smooth, but saying that the jerkyness still catches me out at times...

What bothers me is riding in the wet and cornering. To be fair I have only done 200 miles on it since I bought it and it took me 4k to get used to the 1150Rt.

#227 gpwheels

gpwheels

sticking around

• 37 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:39 am

My 2009 9'er went in to my local Yamaha dealer for its 12K service. I said to them that I was completly fed up of the snatchy throttle issue and that as a CBT instructor I am often around the low rev range when following the students. They said they had a good look at the bike and could only find the throttle bodies slightly out and weakened off the CO, but the bike runs great.
Within 500 yards of picking the bike up I noticed it was now worse than ever so I went straight back, they put the CO back to where it was but this made no differance. They then ordered a new TPS and re-set the thottle bodies back to where they were too. This now got the bike back to where I started so in desperation I fitted a PC III and the bike is now smooth. (BTW - I run standard exhausts).
I was not happy that I had to spend nearly £300 to sort out Yamaha's issue, but now that it is done, I can enjoy the ride :-)

Fit a PC and be done with it! If you have differant exhausts then this will be the best way to fix the issue.

#228 sarcoid

sarcoid

sticking around

• 32 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:06 pm

QUOTE(gpwheels @ Fri 15th Jul 2011, 08:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My 2009 9'er went in to my local Yamaha dealer for its 12K service. I said to them that I was completly fed up of the snatchy throttle issue and that as a CBT instructor I am often around the low rev range when following the students. They said they had a good look at the bike and could only find the throttle bodies slightly out and weakened off the CO, but the bike runs great.
Within 500 yards of picking the bike up I noticed it was now worse than ever so I went straight back, they put the CO back to where it was but this made no differance. They then ordered a new TPS and re-set the thottle bodies back to where they were too. This now got the bike back to where I started so in desperation I fitted a PC III and the bike is now smooth. (BTW - I run standard exhausts).
I was not happy that I had to spend nearly £300 to sort out Yamaha's issue, but now that it is done, I can enjoy the ride :-)

Fit a PC and be done with it! If you have differant exhausts then this will be the best way to fix the issue.

Thank you for the advice about the power commander. I only live 5 miles from powertech in poulton lancs and will go and talk to them. In the yamaha advert on the pc it gives the bike a cracking good endorsment (no mention of the low speed throttle reesponse) done about 200 miles since I bought it if I can't bottom it then i'm afraid it will have to go.

Many thanks again for your advice.

#229 PAPAJAY

PAPAJAY

seems to like Carpe

• 46 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:07 pm

Hey guys. Just in regard to this airbox mod - how would it affect the fuel consumption overall? Would I be right in saying if it's better at the lower revs it would improve the overall consumption?

#230 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:06 am

QUOTE(PAPAJAY @ Tue 6th Sep 2011, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys. Just in regard to this airbox mod - how would it affect the fuel consumption overall? Would I be right in saying if it's better at the lower revs it would improve the overall consumption?

I've found no effect on fuel consumption, which I think is consistent with others. What are you getting?

Edited by Pict, 06 September 2011 - 07:08 am.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#231 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:47 am

QUOTE(PAPAJAY @ Tue 6th Sep 2011, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try increasing the CO. Might be worth trying 5 points on each cylinder. JBX has a few recomendations for those who've done the airbox mod and not got the improvements they expected.

Assume you're chain's set right?
Mine will plod along around 2200- 2500 revs all day unless it meets a hill... I've got stock exhausts and no PC. Don't know if it makes any difference overall (haven't check it on it's own) but I also have a K&N air filter.

You may also get some abuse from 850 owners, I just put it down to jealousy tongue.gif

#232 camsdad

camsdad

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:37 am

Before I start attacking my TDM like the barbarian I am!..... is the idea to do all the air intake mods or just one of them?

Thanks and sorry for my ignorance blush.gif

#233 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:43 am

Just one of them mate.

Depending on the size of your fingers I'd go with either the ECU or Airbox mod.

The ECU method is a little fiddly but tidiest, the pipe on to of the airbox is probably quickest, and easiest.
MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#234 camsdad

camsdad

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:25 pm

QUOTE(dmmsta @ Wed 22nd Aug 2012, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just one of them mate.

Depending on the size of your fingers I'd go with either the ECU or Airbox mod.

The ECU method is a little fiddly but tidiest, the pipe on to of the airbox is probably quickest, and easiest.

Many thanks

#235 Marc001

Marc001

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 115 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:34 pm

Hi,

Having read the reviews on the airbox mod, went and did procedure A, which is the ecu connector tweak. I am assuming this is all i need to do according to JBX. But i am a liitle confused, because the reviews i have read say i need to block off the pipe. Am i right in saying as i did the ecu mod not the airbox mod i dont need to block the pipe.

Will take the bike out tomorrow for a test ride, to see whether the mod makes any difference with the carbon cans fitted.

Thanks

#236 AzzA

AzzA

Knows more than an horses arse!

• 1,548 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:31 am

I have observed that on the 2009 Oceania model the air-box flap actuates at 2000RPM, in both increases and decreases of RPM.

This would be why the air-box mod is not proving effective on bikes in that region; as there is no interaction with the 3000-4000RPM range where most riders are experiencing issues.

I can't comment on similar models from other regions; I don't have access to them. This is something owners might check when they've next got their tank raised.

gallery_10460_302_12664.png

#237 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:13 am

Thanx for the info AzzA !
It seems that the flap actuation rpm was changed with the new 2007 ECU.
As there is no ECU part# difference between Eur & Oce models, I think they do the same in Europe too.
Need a check though... no tank raising required, just check the ECU pin with a voltmeter.

top_640.png

#238 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:00 am

I've been reading all the info here since getting my TDM and trying a number of mods on my 2012, I did remove the flapper vacume hose etc and in my case with the stock cans at the time it did improve the bottom end transition from low throttle to mid a lot, however it did not stop the bike hunting around at 3500 rpm, I've yet to check a number of things on the dyno just to see what is going on with the two wire narrow O2 sensor and the dash CO settings but I will next week just for info for others what that you have not all done it before.. I tried running the bike with the flapper inactive and the sensor disconnected (stock cans) and the hunting was the same and I thought on a test ride the snatchy throttle at 3500 was worse but then maybe thats just as I was concentrating on the problem, I then fitted some Warrior cans and lost a little mid range power imo but the bike seemed smoother however it still hunted around at 3500, I then fitted a PC3 loaded a temp scorpion map, discon the O2 sensor, removed the flapper altogether and added a K&N filter, shut off the PAIR intake and the bike is now steady at 3.5k! No hunting and smooth all the way through, IMO the ECU is preprogrammed in the closed loop zone to meet euro3 and the result is bad fueling regardless of the O2 sensors connection state and the only way to fix the AFR in that zone is to use an aftermarket FI unit (I say fix as in lock it down and force the bike to use set AFR values). I will meter out the flapper output and post up what my 2012 triggers at just out of interest. I'm going to map the bike ASAP and will see how the dash CO settings effect AFR.. When I fitted the cans the bike seemed very lean and flat in the closed loop area and adding plus 15 to the CO did smooth it out no end so they do defo effect the AFR on my 2012 but I'd like to know how much and where? Anyway I just though Id share my progress with you all.

Edited by Arthur, 09 October 2012 - 09:47 am.

2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#239 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,187 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:14 am

Very interesting if that is the case as alot of people have reported it fixing the low rev snatchyness on post 2007 boikes. Hoorah for placebo?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#240 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:43 am

Lol yeah I guess so... I can only say about my own findings and just as a matter of interest for others I know little of other year and model tdms. :)
I never had a problem until I started to read what people were saying then I found myself looking at that area of the rev range when out and about, tbh Id ride round anything and loved my bike from day one, but then you start to read and tinker....lol It is what it is and im not looking to make it something its not...if you know what I mean, but its much better now.. :)

Edited by Arthur, 09 October 2012 - 09:50 am.

2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users