#1 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 June 2024 - 09:21 pm

I owned an Mk1 from '05 to '21, a 9er from '17 to '20, and bought a Tracer 7 late '21. The Tracer is a good bike, but I miss a bit of rush when giving it the beans. Also, it sometimes feels too light.
I'll keep it for a year or two, but I eventually want something a bit more...grown up. For thursday I've rented a Tiger 900 GT Pro, really looking for a day out on Gran Canaria mountain roads. Thought I'd write a review on here😎.
Also, the other day my old Mk1 was listed supposedly having a mileage if 25'kms, I corrected the owner and he had the decency to axjust it to 125'😄. Strange thing is all of the fairings are gone😱: https://www.finn.no/...nkode=356545125

Edited by Bjørge, 18 June 2024 - 09:22 pm.

Bjørge

#2 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,479 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 19 June 2024 - 05:44 am

Tracer 900 maybe?

Enjoying mine and should be taking me to the Isle of Wight later today.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#3 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,833 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 08:03 am

Tracer 9 is definately on the list. I almost traded in my 1yr 7 for it 2 years ago😀
Bjørge

#4 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,833 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 11:56 am

After some 230kms/5hrs ride (yes, 100s of hairpins) on the '24 Tiger 900 GTPro, my verdict is:

A really good bike, just not for me.

What it boils down to is I don't want any bike with a 19" front for my daily ride. Really strange the 900 Tiger range doesn't include one model with a 17" front, like the 660....

So - the likes and dislikes (remember my main comparison is my '21 Tracer 7):

- engine: good, especially at higher speeds. AT ~100km/h cruising on motorway it's really peppy. Somewhat dull at low rpms, my Tracer feels more agile from ~3k.

- clutch: nice!!!!

- gearshift: ok, but a bit vague feel, often needed to check dash to see if neutral or 1st was engaged. May be an artefact of the quick shifter?

- suspension: soft, comfy, but surprising level of vibrations through bike on rough surfaces. No better than my tracer with Ohlins rear, but Gran Canaria offers few pot holes so haven't tested it to the limits

- seat: ok, on par with tracer. Good: you may slide back and forth quite a bit. Bad: somewhat square corners felt in butt. Very comfy knee angle and posture (WAY better suited to me than the Tracer).

- windscreen: okay, less turbulence than both Mk1 & Tracer, adjusting at speed fiddlier than the Tracer

- dash: nice, clear, huge improvement over the previous model (and the crappy Tracer's)

- controls: nice! Esp. turn signal switch, being so light and precise. Need to operate clutch and flasher simultaneously? No prob.

- brakes: very powerful front! Dull rear (like on most bikes)

- handling: I would take my Tracer any day! When I tried the '21-model Tiger 3 years ago, I didn't think of it as hard-to-turn. But back then I rode my Mk1 and was accustomed to applying some force to turn. It took some time to reprogram to Tracer's point-and-shoot geometry, yesterday I had to reverse that technique (and hated it).

So - not for me, but nice. It also made me realise why I've been thinking I probably did corner faster with the Mk1 than my more quick steering Tracer; it's the phenomenon of reaching the limit of lean without seriously applying force to the bars on the Tracer. As hours on the Tiger went by I got used to actively countersteering, making it easier to just push a little more to tighten the turn. My Tracer turns just by aiming but at a certain point I need to push to lean more and yesterday I *think* I found the answer... Need to practice active counter steering at roundabouts++ after vacation!

Status: all 19"-ers removed from list, leaving only the Tiger 660, F900XR and Tracer 9/9Gt for future tests for now.

Canary Ride rental in Las Palmas is recommended! Nice & competent staff!

Bjørge

#5 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,833 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 05:36 pm

Actually, having read a few Tiger 660 vs Tracer 7 reviews, the Tiger 660 is delisted. Less low down grunt & poorer suspension and in total a ~draw, I see littlepoint in taking the baby Tiger out
Bjørge

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,183 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 23 June 2024 - 08:22 am

Have ewe considered Hodaka Bjorgey?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#7 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,727 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 23 June 2024 - 09:50 am

I wonder if the TDM900 had come out with a 17" front how many more people would have bought them over something else.

What it boils down to is I don't want any bike with a 19" front for my daily ride. Really strange the 900 Tiger range doesn't include one model with a 17" front, like the 660....

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#8 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,833 posts

Posted 23 June 2024 - 11:07 am

Have ewe considered Hodaka Bjorgey?

😄
Bjørge

#9 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,833 posts

Posted 23 June 2024 - 11:17 am

I wonder if the TDM900 had come out with a 17" front how many more people would have bought them over something else.

Tracer 9 has been a top seller over here. The 7er not so, probably too small engine for the customer group (old men of all ages). A bit strange they gave up the upright-tarmac-sportstourer segment for some 5 years... so, yes, they could've imho

Edited by Bjørge, 23 June 2024 - 11:19 am.

Bjørge

#10 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,727 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 23 June 2024 - 09:48 pm

Tracer 9 has been a top seller over here. The 7er not so, probably too small engine for the customer group (old men of all ages). A bit strange they gave up the upright-tarmac-sportstourer segment for some 5 years... so, yes, they could've imho

I really enjoyed my KTM 640, it was the light weight which made it fun, and I think the 7er  could entice me, especially since hearing they're a peach once they're properly remapped.

I would enjoy the 900 power/torque for sure, but light weight is confidence inspiring, and I guess it depends what the roads you usually ride are actually like....anything with a straight section over half a mile in length bores me rigid

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#11 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,833 posts

Posted 23 June 2024 - 10:56 pm

I really enjoyed my KTM 640, it was the light weight which made it fun, and I think the 7er  could entice me, especially since hearing they're a peach once they're properly remapped.

I would enjoy the 900 power/torque for sure, but light weight is confidence inspiring, and I guess it depends what the roads you usually ride are actually like....anything with a straight section over half a mile in length bores me rigid

I've ridden the old Tracer 900 and the newer 9, and kina feel it's too much. I don't really need 119bhp, but 95 would be nice. Like the other day on the tiger, cruising at 110kph an feel that a slight twist shoots you forwards. My Tracer 7 lacks that. But on B-roads I couldn't ask for a better engine. The problem is, I long for a possible rush every now and then...😐. I'll kinda start over testing bikes after 3 years on my Tracer 7. I *think* I may be able to make a better decision than comingcfrom years on TDMs. I nearly bought a 2nd hand F900XR, would really like to try it again now. And the elephant in yhe room, Tracer 9 which is the most obvious choice for a Yammie guy....
...also, added the 1200 speed twin to the list😎
Bjørge

#12 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,059 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 26 June 2024 - 08:59 pm

Hmmm, I wouldn't hold my breath but it's a nice thought.

https://www.kardesig...e-21st-century/

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#13 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,833 posts

Posted 26 June 2024 - 11:19 pm

Hmmm, I wouldn't hold my breath but it's a nice thought.

https://www.kardesig...e-21st-century/

Whaddayasay in English, in Norwegian it's "too much water has run into the ocean"😎
..meanting "too late".
Bjørge

#14 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,059 posts

Posted 27 June 2024 - 04:25 am

Lol, yup.

The horse has bolted, spilling the milk as it broke the barn door.

Edited by harvey krumpet, 27 June 2024 - 04:27 am.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#15 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,529 posts

Posted 27 June 2024 - 07:56 am

...water under the bridge..

There were some alternative designs at the time of the development of the 900 - from the designer who had a hand in the original 850. (name escapes me now!)

1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#16 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,059 posts

Posted 27 June 2024 - 09:46 pm

Glynn Kerr, if memory serves.

Summit like that.

#17 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,833 posts

Posted 27 June 2024 - 11:01 pm

I feel like this topic overlaps with the other ongoing discussion :http://www.carpe-tdm...818#entry401208
(Sorry, on a phone with limited editor features).
What would be the sentiment and practice of this forum if the Tracers were named TDM XXX? I beileve: The 700 would be embraced, the 900 would split camps. Anyhow, any discussion on comparing a 20-odd years bike's value to the cost of a newish one is kinda lacking historical perspective, IMHO. When I joined Carpe in 2005, members bought new 9ers just as expensive as the bikes I've been discussin in this thread. Worth the dxtra XX pounds? That's anyones choice. Is 20 years of development of motorbikes noticeable? Yes, no doubt. There is a late 9er on sale here for 3k+, Add another grand and you buy a 10 year newer Tracer 700. What's not to like about the '17 Tracer? Suspension. But, honestly, the 9er wasn't thst good in this department either.
"Good for it's time" doesn't do much today.

Edited by Bjørge, 27 June 2024 - 11:03 pm.

Bjørge

#18 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,529 posts

Posted 28 June 2024 - 04:45 pm

I felt right at home with my MT-07 partly because the twin engine felt just like my late departed 9'er. 

1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#19 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 01 July 2024 - 04:57 pm

KTM SMT? 

:hide:

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#20 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,833 posts

Posted 02 July 2024 - 10:12 am

KTM SMT? 

:hide:

It was on the list, removed it purely from the looks. I yet have to see a KTM that don't make me think "THAT is one ugly bike". But maybe I should try it  :unsure2: - paint those orange wheels, delete the beak, new headlights - it could be a looker...

Bjørge

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users